My first time pulling the jugs

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
I never did this before and it shows :laugh: but I learned something:thumbsup: part of this video was posted before. if you watched that one ff to arround 16 minutes
i make these first time videos it helps me get things back together.

Keep up the great work. I hope you are going to do the whole rebuild on video. I need all the help I can get when it comes to this stuff. I don't think I'm alone either.

I watched the videos of you pulling the motor and removing the top end. Excellent tutorials!!!! I am gonna pull my motor to replace the head gasket and clean and paint EVERYTHING. Im glad I dont need to cut the timing chain to remove the head. I plan on pulling the motor from its frame by hand- I do have my daughters till 5 pm today for extra muscle.

Not gonna do new rings- in fact just replacing the head gasket. I will inspect things and replace as needed but the cranking pressure was 148 psi both 1 and 2. Bike ran great- just leaks oil at the head gasket. Seeing I am removing the engine to clean and paint (frame as well) I might as well replace the head gasket.

A manual is a must and I like Clymer over Haynes but even the Haynes can be vague with no pics. Above videos are saved to my favorites and are a necessity. The comment was made in the video that the replacement cam chain tensioner was not a well built as the oem unit- I assume this is a non yamaha part? I try to buy genuine parts but sometimes its not possible.

A manual is a must and I like Clymer over Haynes but even the Haynes can be vague with no pics. Above videos are saved to my favorites and are a necessity. The comment was made in the video that the replacement cam chain tensioner was not a well built as the oem unit- I assume this is a non yamaha part? I try to buy genuine parts but sometimes its not possible.

yes the part is not oem :shrug:

I just discovered that people have been using oem piston rings for an 89-90 Honda Acura car. Four sets of rings for $40. This is interesting but I myself would not do this. I admire that someone took the time to think it up and try it out. I do like the thought of 4 sets of rings for $40 though...

Back