New Brakes?

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
So I helped my friend change his brake pads today. He has an '81 and asked for some help since I did my brakes the other day. Now he's gonna call me all the time. Anyway, he said he heard this squeaking and grinding on Saturday. I took the pads off and was a little startled. Then he asked if I thought he needed new ones. I think he does. :D

Attachments

• pad1.jpg
    pad1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 89
  • pad2.jpg
    pad2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
Going by the pictures, IMO, Techniclly No. There is still some life in the pads based there is still a groove in the pad area. For practical reasons, Yes because the life left at the top of the pad is very little and it was time to change them before the grinding on the disc starts.

As you know, If it was squeaking and grinding it would be best to R&R the entire system. all apart, scrape the gunk from behind the seal, make sure the compensation port is clear in the master cylinder, all new fluid, parts as needed, really it should have new brake lines. That brake system is 30 years old.

gggGary, I did what you advised to my system and I did find smelly gunk behind the piston. I took it completely apart and added new seals, dust boot, ect. My friend is going to buy new stuff as well. His piston wasn't too bad either, but had the smelly gunk too. Both of our pistons were nice and clean with minimal surface rust inside of it. Just moving his bike I could hear it grinding. Like a chalk board.

I just scared a little pee out. Got my friends caliper all cleaned, new pads, cleaned the M/C, but didn't rebuild it, and bled the brakes. Got it all done last night. Everything was great. Lever felt good. Tested it out this morning. A little rainy, but no problem. Got going down the street, pull the brake handle, started to slow, then nothing. Lever went to the bars. I also found his rear brakes need attention. I was able to stop and was going pretty slow. Luckily. Fluid is blowing out of the M/C at the piston assembly. Where the adjuster bolt pushes the primary piston. Now for another rebuild.

Back