New here, a few of my projects

Same as user clockwork---I am from the Mpls area as well. We need to get a group together once we all get them done. I know Travis is from River Falls according to his profile and I have seen other from Mpls as well on here.

Thanks! Yeah we need a group G2G this fall for sure. The frame is powdercoated, as well as the hubs and brackets. The Fork is a stock GSXR unit which is anodized from the factory.

wow thats looking real good .:thumbsup: inspirational .

Unless you're expecting to go very quickly in reverse ......don't forget to reverse the rear tyre :wink2:

wow thats looking real good .:thumbsup: inspirational .

Unless you're expecting to go very quickly in reverse ......don't forget to reverse the rear tyre :wink2:

Caught my eye too. Had to zoom the screen to read the sidewall.

It's a Dunlop D404F. If you are running it on the rear, then the way he has it mounted is correct. It's a front fitment tire. :wink2:

Caught my eye too. Had to zoom the screen to read the sidewall.

It's a Dunlop D404F. If you are running it on the rear, then the way he has it mounted is correct. It's a front fitment tire. :wink2:

you run a tyre with the manufacters rotation symbol going the wrong way because it is fitted to the rear wheel ?

Surely that would have the two tyres running opposite rotation with totally different road holding and performance characterisics.:confused: Never heard that before

The lap in the reinforcing plies of a tire is designed to get tightened by the major rotational force of the position it is in. You want the outermost layer to be brushed in a direction that would just roll across the stackup dry, not try to snag the edge of the top layer and roll it backward. A rear tire's primary load is in power application, a front tire's primary load is in front braking application. The front tire used on the rear must be turned backward to maintain this relationship. The only exception are "universal" designs (usually no higher than an "S" speed rating, and very limited sizes) or a jointless construction tire. The lap joint is also, incidentally, where the heaviest point in the tire is. The next time you have a new bias ply tire, check the inner carcass opposite of the balance dot, and you usually find the bump and overlap that identifies the joint location.
I have a Michelin Commander rear tire turned backward on the front of my Road Star right now with 14K miles on it, and I'm thinking of flipping it around and sticking it on the back of my XS.

The direction of the tread on a motorcycle tire has very little to do with how it grips and handles. Tread grooves have one primary mission- to pump water out from under the tire. The tire does not care where it goes, and the direction of travel is not important, it just pushes the water sideways, or gives it a wide and deep enough channel to occupy for a short period of time to allow the tire to contact the ground. Tread grooves and block patterns have a secondary function of dissipating heat by adding surface area. Although the bulk of the carcass heat is transmitted to the sidewall and on to the wheel (bet you never thought your wheel was a heat sink, did ya?) the tread block itself is cooled primarily by the tread block surface in the wind. This is one of the reasons tires seem to accelerate in wear very rapidly if you continue to run them after they hit the wear bar. That, plus they are generally cooked at this point, and they shear material under acceleration, turning, and braking loads, rather than momentarily compressing into the irregular surface of the road and bouncing back.

These various descriptions are courtesy of Avon, Michelin, and Goodyear over several years and a certification or 3.

Last edited:
blimey JD you lost me in the first sentence !:D

Thanks for the explanation . I definitely have a lot to learn about motorcyle tyres. :(

Wow great context there on tires, thank you! I am surprised I was actually able to follow all of that.

On a separate note, is there a fundamental tutorial on adjusting the degree of my cam?

Last edited:
If you look at other photos, there is a decent amount of trail with these front ends. The last set of photos are at a funny angle so it is a little deceptive.

Did a little more paint work today. I wanted to have a color that was modern, but could have been metallic enough to be from the 70's as well (an assumption being that I'm from the 80's of course). I think it hit the spot just right.

full

Tomorrow I will wet sand and buff her to a nice glass finish!

How do you like those rear shocks? Ive been entertaining the idea of getting some as well. I know that you get what you pay for, and that a lot of discussion on other forums has been done, but I would really like some input on them from a fellow 650 owner.

Oh and that thing is looking sweet! What front end is that?

Back