New to xs650

Xthread

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. I live in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. The same place Fredinstoon lives. I was given some parts for a xs 650, engine, frame, forks, wheels c/w discs and sprocket.I'm planning on building a hardtail. I have no experience with this but willing to learn. The engine won’t turn over with the kick arm, It was suggested that the rings may be rusted to the cylinders. Any suggestions as to what to look for as I’m going to pull the engine apart. Thanks for reading.
Regards Xthread

....but willing to learn.
That's half the battle right there. If you're willing, you can do it. A suggestion... squirt copious amounts of your favorite penetrating oil down the plug holes and let the engine sit for a day or two. Then try turnin' the motor.
You'll find that a lot of us here are illiterate... we can't read.... we like pictures hint hint:)
Welcome to the site!!

Last edited:
Welcome Xthread. While you're at it, wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers off and squirt some PB Blaster or penetrant of your choice on the valve stems between the springs.

Good luck, fingers crossed!

Welcome.
There are lots of engine pull-apart threads here, and check out the Tech section.
I suggest that you pull the oil screens, one in the right case (very easy) and one at the bottom, and analyse the residue. In fact, you could pull these screens and take pictures before cleaning them and post them here, and you'll get lots of eager opinions as to what might be ahead when you fully dismantle, if necessary.
Hope it goes well.

Hi XThread - one small suggestion would be to get the bike running BEFORE you cut the back end off it.

It is of course, your bike - but, XS650s in stock form (especially in Canada) are become a little bit more rare each day and yet, they make extremely nice bikes to ride around on -in stock form.

The forum has seen a couple of sad tales of folks who went the hard tail route and found that they simply couldn’t ride the bike very far. Also - if the build doesn’t work out for you, the bike will be worth far more if it is still in original shape than it will be after you cut it.

Anyhow - welcome and be sure to post pictures and ask questions!

Pete

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. I live in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. The same place Fredinstoon lives. I was given some parts for a xs 650, engine, frame, forks, wheels c/w discs and sprocket.I'm planning on building a hardtail. I have no experience with this but willing to learn. The engine won’t turn over with the kick arm, It was suggested that the rings may be rusted to the cylinders. Any suggestions as to what to look for as I’m going to pull the engine apart. Thanks for reading.
Regards Xthread

Hi Xthread and welcome,
yeah, show us the photos, I know that you got them.
And unlike myself who bought his bike new and has never taken his engine apart, there's wizards on this list who can tell you every last little trick you'll need to know.
Coincidentally, my son mentioned he was bored with his XS650 and thinking of hardtailing it but he also wanted to be able to put it back to stock.
His current plan is to leave his own frame untouched and buy a hardtailed frame from some guy who'd quit in mid project.
And as you are just down the road from us, don't be that guy, eh?

Welcome from another 650 newb ;) still looking but have a few other XSs floating around the garage. Great advice on the stuck motor and yes also on cutting the frame.........you don't want to do something you cant get back to factory......I was hooked on the 650 hardtails at first but now as I am older :D and built a few XSs can see the value in a factory look.......granted the other bikes I have are café and brat type styles I am still on the hunt for that perfect factory look and hoping that will come in 650 form.

Good luck on your adventure and like JimD54 posted pics are great :laugh2:

Welcome to the forum, Xthread.

...I’m new to the forum.
... I live in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada.
... The same place Fredinstoon lives.
... I'm planning on building a hardtail...

Uh, oh.

Brace yourself.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-far-back-you-gonna-go.35630/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-rant.37745/

Not to worry. Ol' Fred's softened a bit since then.

Are hardtails legal there?

http://www.xs650.com/threads/any-threads-on-converting-hardtail-back-to-swingarm.37697/

Thanks Brassneck! I thought I posted some pics. I can see them on one thread. I probably didn’t post them correctly. Any idea of what I may have screwed up? I’m using my iPhone, my wife has two computers, I have none!!!

89AEF54A-0A4A-48DB-9C68-512EA413A52C.jpeg 4314BD33-D236-4799-A9C6-03C6E164FFE5.jpeg

Welcome! As a fellow "hardtailer", I cut my frame also. Keep in mind first which vendor to use! And who will be doing your welding! No sense in having your new hardtail decide to break it's weld while you're on it! Aye? Or dealing with a vendor who doesn't have a great rep, on delivery time! Been there, done that! THirdly, I'd like to recommend you making a want list and next to it a wish list. To often a hardtailer will get in over his head. That's why you can always find some one who ran out of funds and is ready to move on! If time is no problem, enjoy the ride waiting for the bike you visioned. There is plenty of help here and pics of anything you desire learning. Lesson number one, re-read, then start having fun! Next, buy a workshop manual (NOT crazy about Haynes) and download the free carb manual, here on the forum, this way you have it in hand, BEFORE any questions! Good Luck and welcome again!!!

Glad you figured it out (Just saw the pics, sweet!!). As to rebuilding an engine...go for it! There's something completely satisfying about hearing an engine you've torn down and rebuilt start up for the first time. Plus, you get to know EVERYTHING there is about your motor.

These bike's aren't very complicated, but there's a lot to learn if you've never done one before. My advice: Get a GOOD shop manual. Take A LOT of pics of everything you take off (it will help when trying to remember which bolt, o-ring, etc. goes where). Clean everything as you take it off, so you know if it's re-usable and in good working condition. Bag/tag everything (this is especially true if you're tearing apart more than one motor at a time...ask me how I know? :) Also, if possible, consider finding a shop that does Vapor Blasting (Or allows you to do it)--Make all those parts shine, clean and new looking...it's so worth it in the long run. Oh, and take your time...the zen of working on a machine is in the details and experience of doing it...not just in the outcome. Well, at least it is for me.

Good luck!

Hmmmm, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Sounds like a book I read quite awhile back. Thanks for tips. I’m already finding a lot of useful info in the forum. Any idea where I could purchase a shop manual? I’ve ordered a Clymer book already. I could check with the local Yamaha dealer.

I have a clymer (M403) manual and it's reasonably good. Not sure it's the best...but it was solid enough for my needs.

Back