Oil feed tee, and oil temp sensor

Yamaha_chop

Fabricator Extraordinare
Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking for some help from those of you who know more about the XS oiling system than I do.

First off: the megasquirt system I'm using requires a coolant temp sensor or in my case, an oil temp sensor. My question is, where is the best place to install it? I'm not super keen on tapping the case, but I will if I must.

Secondly: I'm going to need an oil feed line for my turbo. It doesn't need to have much pressure at all really, but it does need some oil. Where is the best place to tee into for that?

Thanks for your replies,
Sky

Most people tap the right side clutch cover near where the little oil filter is for oil coolers. There are example pics on here somewhere.

I would avoid tapping that line that runs up to the head.

This where I tapped into the side cover for the feed to the turbo.

Attachments

• 013_nr.jpg
    013_nr.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 230
First of all, that picture is awesome :)

Secondly, do you have any problems with the feed line after the engine is warm? I posted a similar thread over on the garage and PamcoPete mentioned that the xs engine will only put out around 5-7psi when warm at 3500rpm, and essentially 0 psi at idle. Which of course scares me. I'm sure your bike doesn't spend much time at idle, but just wondering if you've ever had any issues?

The bike will hopefully be running with the fuel injection at the end of the month. I'm trying to get all the little stuff together for it right now. But the goal is the end of the month.

Do you have any more pictures of your bike? specifically the engine?
thanks
Sky

As was lurking around the Megasquirt site I found a guy that MS'd a bike and his recommendations for temp sensor is to mount it between the fins on the back side of the cylinder. Oil temp will not necessarily represent the temp of the cylinders, it will have a delay as the oil circulates. The temp of the cylinders is what dictates the burn of the fuel.

I'm still waiting on the funds for my Microsquirt but I'm planning on using a temp sensor from a computer power supply. Supposed to be more accurate and it's really small.

Sky,thanks
haven't had any problem with the line. only wrecked one turbo because of lack of oil pressure. the line was plugged. that line is tapped right at the pump outlet.there may not be much pressure but there is alot of flow.
there are more pictures of the engine in the thread about my turbo bike. do not know how to post a link.

No problem man, I'm sure I can find it pretty easily.
Thanks for the info

Robotham: appreciate the info, I'll have to look on the megasquirt site for that info.

Yamaha chop. Mike's has a higher volume pump, it puts out twice as much volume. It may increase the pressure also.
I helped a guy put a turbo on an Opel when I was in the service. If I remember right the turbo don't need a lot of pressure, just lots of flow. I think a turbo uses roller bearings. So a good flow is whats needed. I'm probably not remembering it right though, it was in the 70's.

most turbo's have bushings. the more expensive ones use BB. the key is to have good constant flow and proper drainage. I use to drag race older supra's. the stock oil psi at idle was 4psi and that was feeding a 67mm turbo making over 650rwhp. it's all about the flow.

Those Supra's were something. I had an 81 with just a single overhead cam and no turbo. It was quite impressive. Fast and handled well.

Back