Old Japanese motorcycles

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
when we think of Japanese motorcycle, we think of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki, however there were many, many more, the first one being built in 1909, the NS. Many more followed:

bridgestone,Hodaka, Miyata, Aero, Rikuo, Abe Star, Marusho, Tohatsu, Mitsubishi, Meguro, and many many more. Rikuo is the HD copy.

Here's some pics of some interesting bikes, wouldn't you like to get a hold of some of these:

Attachments

• 4.1-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Thomas-1901-Vintagent.jpg
    4.1-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Thomas-1901-Vintagent.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 58
  • OBA50-Marusho-10.jpg
    OBA50-Marusho-10.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 62
  • OBA50-Marusho-4.jpg
    OBA50-Marusho-4.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 57
  • _3_Marusho_Lilac_SW.jpg
    _3_Marusho_Lilac_SW.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Asahi_golden_beam_FA.jpg
    Asahi_golden_beam_FA.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Rikuo_RQ750_1957.jpg
    Rikuo_RQ750_1957.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 53
  • mainDSCF1006.jpg
    mainDSCF1006.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 58
  • f61fe68d9cb1b106fe2a7220d1b3a222.jpg
    f61fe68d9cb1b106fe2a7220d1b3a222.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Meguro-classic-bikes.jpg
    Meguro-classic-bikes.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Triumph_old.jpg
    Triumph_old.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 12-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Meguro-racer-Vintagent.jpg
    12-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Meguro-racer-Vintagent.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 7-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Miyata-Asahi-1913-Vintagent--1024x712.jpg
    7-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-Miyata-Asahi-1913-Vintagent--1024x712.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 6-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-NS-first-Japanese-motorcycle-Vintagent-1024x630.jpg
    6-Japanese-Motorcycling-The-Early-Days-NS-first-Japanese-motorcycle-Vintagent-1024x630.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 57
Like, I suspect, a lot of folks, I just sort of assumed Japanese bikes started with the Honda 50. :laugh2:

Well, not really. I bet some of those, assuming any examples still exist, are worth a bloody fortune.

A Lilac sold in OZ not that long ago, can't remember the price. The Likac had a 250cc horizontally opposed engine. Wouldn't I love to get my spanners working on one of those things.

Late 60's early 70's.... decided I wanted to race in the dirt. Bought 2 used Hodaka 100's. Fantastic little dirt bikes. Much better in the dirt it turns out... than I was. :cautious:
Still, the quality of those little bikes was at least as good as the big 4. Just as an example.... the right clutch cover didn't have a gasket. The machining quality was such that it didn't need one. You could lay the bikes on their side, replace the clutch plates, replace the cover and go right back to racing in about 15 min as I recall. Never leaked.

Bridgestone 100. Or was it a 90? Don't remember. All I remember of it was it had a "rotary" shifter. All up went from neutral to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and then (continuing up) back to neutral. Mine had a bad false neutral between 3rd and 4th. More often than not you'd be in 4th, shift into neutral thinking it was the false neutral 'tween 3rd and 4th.... then continue "up" into 1st.... at which point the engine would scream bloody murder and the back tire would break loose. Dumped me on my ass 'round a curve more times than I'd like to admit. :yikes:

when we think of Japanese motorcycle, we think of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki, however there were many, many more, the first one being built in 1909, the NS. Many more followed:

That was very interesting! You are right, I tend to think of the Japanese motorcycle market as coming to life in the post WW2 era. It only makes sense that it evolved much earlier. Some interesting bikes there!

bridgestone,Hodaka, Miyata, Aero, Rikuo, Abe Star, Marusho, Tohatsu, Mitsubishi, Meguro, and many many more. Rikuo is the HD copy.

Here's some pics of some interesting bikes, wouldn't you like to get a hold of some of these:
Lots of cool looking iron. Wonder if some have survived with collectors in Japan?

Late 60's early 70's.... decided I wanted to race in the dirt. Bought 2 used Hodaka 100's. Fantastic little dirt bikes. Much better in the dirt it turns out... than I was. :cautious:
Still, the quality of those little bikes was at least as good as the big 4. Just as an example.... the right clutch cover didn't have a gasket. The machining quality was such that it didn't need one. You could lay the bikes on their side, replace the clutch plates, replace the cover and go right back to racing in about 15 min as I recall. Never leaked.

Bridgestone 100. Or was it a 90? Don't remember. All I remember of it was it had a "rotary" shifter. All up went from neutral to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and then (continuing up) back to neutral. Mine had a bad false neutral between 3rd and 4th. More often than not you'd be in 4th, shift into neutral thinking it was the false neutral 'tween 3rd and 4th.... then continue "up" into 1st.... at which point the engine would scream bloody murder and the back tire would break loose. Dumped me on my ass 'round a curve more times than I'd like to admit. :yikes:
When I was a young’ un many, many years ago, my dream bike was a Hodaka Super Rat. Never see them for sale in the local market.

Last edited:
All I got; an early Hodaka Ace 90 wandered through here one time. Never got a round toit and it left pretty much as it arrived; a bit rusty but lots of promise.
It wasn't til the big four and Japanese industry adapting Deming quality control that the bikes "matured" and the industry was up to, then lead international standards.
http://www.qfdi.org/newsletters/deming_in_japan.html

When you look at the history, the number of motorcycle manufacturers in Japan rose rapidly after WW2. It rose from less than 20 in 1950 to a peak of more than 200 motorcycle manufacturers in Japan in 1953. There were still about 90 to 100 motorcycle manufacturers in Japan in period 1955 to 1958. The number tapered off to the teens by 1962 and flattened out after that.
Keeping things in perspective, Yamaha motorcycle were not founded until 1955.

Back