Questions about adjusting ez pull cable

Dumbmonkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I dunno about you all, but it frozen and snowy here so I'm using the winter to do some work on my 81 XS. It's also my first bike ever, so I'm learning as I go.
Anyway, I'm changing out the clutch cable to one of the 650 Central EZ Pull cables and I cant seem to get it adjusted correctly. I follow the instructions at the cover, tighten the pushrod screw to touch, then back off 1/4, then lock it down. After adjusting the freeplay at the perch, I find that when I engage the clutch the bike is still in gear. It seems that I'm not getting enough pull to disengage the clutch. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I just try adjusting the worm gear screw in further?
Thank for any advice!
Chris

without the engine running you will still have a lot of drag, try backing off the pushrod screw 1/8 instead of 1/4, what is the condition of the adjuster worm gear? if it is cracked, common on older adjusters you will also lose quite a bit of adjustment at the screw, the newer adjusters have a re-posistioned anchor point for more pull lenght

Ill double check the worm gear but I think it's actually in good shape without any cracks. Everything was adjusted fine before I changed the cable (figures, right...?). Mike at 650 Central told me to tighten the loop on the spring to add some tension, would that have any bearing on the adjustment if i tightened the spring up too much?

no the spring won't cause that it just helps pull the worm back to take tension off the clutch rod, make sure the cable has smooth curves as it goes up to the handlebar/lever any tight bends will cause problems

...tighten the loop on the spring to add some tension, would that have any bearing on the adjustment if i tightened the spring up too much?

I don't think you could tighten it too much. Even brand new, it's almost too long. If you haven't already, skim thru this thread to get an idea of the measurements/geometry to make the most of that new cable, and get the worm arm in a better position:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31554

Thanks for all your advice, I'm wondering if part of the problem might be that its winter and cold in NY this time of year, and maybe it'll adjust better after the bike has been running... I'm going to try and start her later, I had to put a float charger on because she wasn't loving turning over. (that's what she said...)

Here's a way to approach it. Loosen it all the way at the lever. Screw the adjuster in at the case pretty far, to compress everything. Back the adjuster out until you're sure it's free. Then turn the adjuster back in until you're sure it hits and then back it out just a little. Lock it down there. It's not necessary that it be 1/4 turn; the purpose of the adjustment at the case is just to make sure the adjuster isn't putting any pressure on the plates without the lever even being pulled; but it should be close to doing that.

Next, tighten it back up at the lever. You need about four or five feet of clear space in your garage where you can use the clutch to pull out from a stop, with the engine running. Adjust the clutch at the lever until the bike starts to pull out at a place in the lever travel that you like. That is as good as you're ever going to adjust the clutch really. This method should help keep you from trying to make the clutch feel like some other clutch that it's never going to feel like. Also, before you put the cable on, drip plenty of motor oil down it until it comes out the other end.

Back