Replacement Carburator

choppermania

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently running a pair of Mikuni BS-38. I have poor running on the right side cylinder. So I’m looking for a more modern setup or carburetors that will fit the XS 650. Do you have any suggestions of what to look for?

Late BS38 carbs will make your XS run as good as almost any carburetor, if they are clean, have proper brass for the year, and are adjusted correctly.
For replacements; Mikuni VM34's are popular, mostly because they aren't expensive for a brand name carburetor. There's lots of jetting info available for them. What year are your BS38s? Pictures especially from the intake bell side would help us ID them if there's a question.
Have you read and applied the carb guide info?
Found in tech: http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Do you have the correct brass in them for the year? Many, most "carb kits" have the wrong or inferior brass parts in them.
650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

Gary, that link has been broken for a while now... as well as the VM34 PDF link.
Time to fire up the Batman searchlight?

Late BS38 carbs will make your XS run as good as almost any carburetor, if they are clean, have proper brass for the year, and are adjusted correctly.
For replacements; Mikuni VM34's are popular, mostly because they aren't expensive for a brand name carburetor. There's lots of jetting info available for them. What year are your BS38s? Pictures especially from the intake bell side would help us ID them if there's a question.
Have you read and applied the carb guide info?
Found in tech: http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Do you have the correct brass in them for the year? Many, most "carb kits" have the wrong or inferior brass parts in them.
View attachment 246968
Thanks for the reply, but do you know of any other easy to get hands on/ modern carburators from a similar size Twin that could work on XS 650?

I have it
This works for me...
Not sure it'll work for anyone else.

Attachments

• carbguide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back