Reunited with XS650SH

Hard to tell from a pic..... those little balls of aluminum?

Untitled.png

If you could hear it ping with a helmet on they could be. Just how loud was it pinging?
I mean there is tinging and then there is pinging.

That's what worries me. I don't know. The plugs were out of the bow new.
Well, since pinging literally is detonation, I'd treat 'em as such and not do any serious highway speeds 'till you get back out of the detonation zone. If it were me... I'd definitely back the timing off, add the washers Gary sez and go from there. Maybe even one up on the main, but timing and washers first... definitely.

If that's the year with "rivets" holding the pick ups you can slot the head with a dremel and unscrew them, reuse or replace with screws. The stator has threads m4 m5?

If that's the year with "rivets" holding the pick ups
I thought that was only the 1980. Either way, I'll get it. What size are those washers I need?

Also, I have no washers under the pilot air screws. I assumed that's not an issue. Maybe I can find a pair.

When you hear it pinging does the engine feel like it still pulling ok?
If so it's most likely a ping. If it fells like it's fighting itself it a knock. Knocks are bad and will destroy a engine.
Severe detonation will do bad things to a engine. That's the reason I run my bike a little retarded like Jim suggested and a little fat on the fuel.
The fuel today is not what it was back when these thing were made.

We'll go with the former. I was listening for it. It's all new.
My rule of thumb.... if you're not sure, treat it as detonation.
Kinda like when I lived in places with King and Coral snakes....

Instructor: the color bands are ordered different... it's easy to tell the difference.
Me: don't give a fuck, they're ALL coral snakes far as I'm concerned.
Instructor: learn the difference or fail my course.
Me: least I ain't gonna screw it up and die if I go with my plan.

*actual conversation I had... :cautious:

Instructor: the color bands are ordered different... it's easy to tell the difference.

black next to red your going to be dead? :redface:

5twins in the great 0-ring seal and washer thread
And while on the subject of carbs, this is what I use for slide needle shim washers .....

iEVv8Mf.jpg

red next to yellow kill a fellow.
No way to screw up, right?

When you hear it pinging does the engine feel like it still pulling ok?
It's pulling like a locomotive! I only know it was pinging because this is a new set-up and I was listening for it, or any other unusual noises.
That's the way I choose to play it as well!
And while on the subject of carbs, this is what I use for slide needle shim washers .....
Thanks for that!
Is that the bike you rode at the Dogwood rally back in the day when Ed (Norton) and I (XS650C) showed up on Sunday?
No. The back in the day bike I've had since new. It's all over this forum. Well-loved and running like a champ.
This one was acquired in 2008 as a father/daughter project. She lost interest and never finished it. I didn't push it because motorcycles are dangerous. It found its way here to Mississippi a few weeks ago. I think it was twelve years ago that it last ran.
1680487120676.png

Last edited:
I think the easiest changes would be another size up on the mains and maybe another size down on the pilot air jet. I know Gary favors the needle shim but I haven't needed to do that, probably because I'm richening up the pilot and main circuits. The 3 circuits in your carb overlap a bit so making the top and bottom ones richer will bleed over into the midrange and richen it up too .....

Carb_Circuits.jpg

Are you getting any popping on decel? That usually indicates leaness in the pilot circuit. If not then I'd say the larger main is what you need. That will make the whole carb a bit richer and maybe put more color on your plugs.

View attachment 238025
These are Triumph T140 bars. I bought Biltwell “Renegade Grips” as they’re nice and fat. I have them on another bike.
View attachment 238026

Fitting the Yamaha perches and switchgear is a close call. I think it’s going to work as I’m short only two or three millimeters.
View attachment 238029
View attachment 238032
View attachment 238033
It’s not quite as bad as the photos make it look.
Did the Biltwell grips have a larger ID for the throttle side? Wonder how much of a pita it will be to trim them to allow use of my bar end mirrors?

Back