Royal Enfield Interceptor 2019

They say a week is a long time in politics? Well, at least I have a few photos to look at.

IMG_1309.jpg

Raymond - congrates on your new bike.
I did a service on a 650 Interceptor today.
A couple of things about the service that may help - when doing the valve clearances you need to clear everything between the rocker box and the underside of the frame - its just wire loom, cable ties, 3 screws to lift a plate and also remove the 2 horns because you need that space in the front. Its very easy to do just a little time consuming. This gives the room to lift the rocker box above the tappets and the cam chain and keep the rubber gasket in place.
The valve clearances are a sinch to do - easy to get at. If not looked after, the chrome deteriorates quickly.
They are quite well put together.
The only thing I didnt like about them is I found them extremely heavy to move around - like in a showroom where you were limited for space. I dont think they are really a heavy bike but Im not very strong and sometimes I needed most of my strength just to move them out of the workshop.
They sound fantastic with "Red Rooster" mufflers.
Enjoy - Regards - Ray.

Ray, thank you for the pointers! I've heard quite a lot about the finish - they deteriorate if not looked after fastidiously. The Seller confesses that he is a bit obsessional about keeping all his bikes not just clean but tip-top condition.

So I'm either going to have to spend a lot more time and effort on cleaning and polishing, or keep this as a dry day, Summer ride.

Cheers, Raymond

Raymond - congrates on your new bike.
I did a service on a 650 Interceptor today.
A couple of things about the service that may help - when doing the valve clearances you need to clear everything between the rocker box and the underside of the frame - its just wire loom, cable ties, 3 screws to lift a plate and also remove the 2 horns because you need that space in the front. Its very easy to do just a little time consuming. This gives the room to lift the rocker box above the tappets and the cam chain and keep the rubber gasket in place.
The valve clearances are a sinch to do - easy to get at. If not looked after, the chrome deteriorates quickly.
They are quite well put together.
The only thing I didnt like about them is I found them extremely heavy to move around - like in a showroom where you were limited for space. I dont think they are really a heavy bike but Im not very strong and sometimes I needed most of my strength just to move them out of the workshop.
They sound fantastic with "Red Rooster" mufflers.
Enjoy - Regards - Ray.
I did the first valve adjustment on my Interceptor..... the shop allowed me to do it in their parking lot.. since I knew the owner for years and they're usually backed up with work. They provide adult supervision.... Pulling the tank.... and other stuff mentioned... it is a very... very tight fit getting the valve cover off. Setting the valves is old school... no shims... like out Xs650's... The valves were in hood nick..... installing the cover is difficult... keeping the bottom seal in place.... on the way home... I stopped at a intersection and noticed smoke coming from the engine.... short story... the retaining bolts for the cover also have a rubber washer..... One had fallen off and I didn't notice ..... I agree.. they are a bit of porker moving in the garage.... :)

Attachments

• RE Valve.jpg
    RE Valve.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
I have had a couple of weekends riding the Interceptor. I like it. Not so much that I’m ready to ditch my Yamaha collection, but I definitely like it. I want to try the Bonneville. The last one I rode was a 2005. I like that as well. I’m not too keen on all the plastic on today’s bikes and cars. I briefly had a Kawasaki Drifer. Plastic everything. Away it went.

I have had a couple of weekends riding the Interceptor. I like it. Not so much that I’m ready to ditch my Yamaha collection, but I definitely like it. I want to try the Bonneville. The last one I rode was a 2005. I like that as well. I’m not too keen on all the plastic on today’s bikes and cars. I briefly had a Kawasaki Drifer. Plastic everything. Away it went.

I know a couple guys with Drifters and love them for the classic Indian look. Price would have been a lot higher if they'd made all those valanced fenders in steel.

Price would have been a lot higher if they'd made all those valanced fenders in steel.
I’m sure that’s true. I just don’t like it. There’s nothing to be done about that. Raymond’s bike has aftermarket stainless steel fenders. One of the bikes I borrowed had them. I wholeheartedly approve of that modification. The plastic fenders are fine, but I just feel better about the metal replacements.

Actually I think he said they are "Alloy" which would be aluminum or "aluminium" over there. They certainly look it.
Was looking for some recently for my vintage dirt track 250. They sure want a lot for an alloy fender.

I have a 2007 Bonneville T100. It feels so much like an XS650 that I bought an XS650. 48 years after I had my previous one. Once I've brought the XS650 back from the dead, I'll be selling the Bonneville.

They're a terrific bike and genuinely feel like a late 70's or early 80's bike with one exception. They're about 25 or 30kg overweight. And that's the main reason I'm selling it.

Ray, thank you for the pointers! I've heard quite a lot about the finish - they deteriorate if not looked after fastidiously. The Seller confesses that he is a bit obsessional about keeping all his bikes not just clean but tip-top condition.

So I'm either going to have to spend a lot more time and effort on cleaning and polishing, or keep this as a dry day, Summer ride.

Cheers, Raymond
Better get a Cost-Co membership to buy your polishing kit in bulk for cheap.
Just saying:shrug:

Just had email from Seller to say that A2Bmotorcyclemovers have collected the bike, so it's on the way. Expected Monday.

Meanwhile, been in't garage and tidied - yes really - and moved bikes around to make large enough clear space for Another motorbike

PICT0940.JPG

So it's watch this space time.

Yesterday, a seat turned up, courtesy of DPD. Seller forgot to hand it to the bike movers so he sent it as a parcel and it has beaten the rest of the bike.

Also, yesterday the V5 ownership document turned up in my name - that was a very quick turnaround by DVLA.

Just really the bike itself now . . .

Yesterday, a seat turned up, courtesy of DPD. Seller forgot to hand it to the bike movers so he sent it as a parcel and it has beaten the rest of the bike.

Also, yesterday the V5 ownership document turned up in my name - that was a very quick turnaround by DVLA.

Just really the bike itself now . . .
Good luck with the Enfield. DVLA seem to be doing well presently. In January I got an imported XS650D registered with them and the V5 in my hand in six working days. Can’t complain at that.

I'm interested in an Enfield v XS650 opinion. I have a 2007 Bonneville T100 that reminded me so much of the old Yamaha I had in 1976 that I bought an XS650 in December. I'll put the Triumph up for sale soon as I can't justify two bikes.

A2B are very good, I've used them in the past.

Back