Stuck clutch pack ???

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
Spent several hours trying to get some gremlins exorcised this evening but one just will not leave.
The issue is,,If I adjust the clutch using the worm /ball on the side of the left case,,it does not appear that the plates are separating. While adjusting it it got to the point where the kicker would not even engage,,it would not spin the engine. The kicker would move but not move the pistons. But when I loosened it the bike would kick and start. There is approximately 1 and 7/8" of exposed rod on the chain side so I do not think I am missing any of the balls. I believe I was told 44 or 45 mm exposed was good.
Any idea where I should start? The bike did sit for 4 or so months with no oil,, this is why I am thinking stuck plates. But I ask you guys for any other ideas ,, coz y'all know this stuff.
Aside from draining the oil and the side case we tried as much as we could think of.
I'm really at a loss.
The lever has very little pull and does not appear to be fully pushing the plates "open"

Keep ignition off, in nuetral, pull the clutch lever, and kick untill the kicker goes limp(assuming the worm and lever is adjusted per search results on this forum)

...it got to the point where the kicker would not even engage,,it would not spin the engine. The kicker would move but not move the pistons.

Yep, that's right. The kickstart action goes thru the clutch.

...But when I loosened it the bike would kick and start.

Also right. Clutch engaged, can kickstart.

...I am thinking stuck plates.

Nope, you freed them when the kicker went free.

...The lever has very little pull and does not appear to be fully pushing the plates "open"

There's the problem. Might want to double check your worm/actuator install.
Recent thread on this:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/could-a-washer-destroy-a-bike.49016/page-4#post-502387

While sitting here at work,, I remembered that I did replace the entire worm gear setup,,with one I got from GGGary.
I just may have installed it incorrectly from what I see in the threads mentioned in this thread. lol
Need to get the bike back to my garage now that the electrics are in it and working properly.
That way I can spend the time I need to get it done.
I have a date in Laconia New Hampshire in a coupla weeks..

Back