TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Nice, thanks for the info. I’ll give that a try. Did you just run the stock needle?
Yes, but I put the small 1/2mm (?) washer under the clip to raise it slightly.
Maybe @gggGary can give you that info off the top of his head....

I’ve got one of those adjustable needles. Definitely going to go up on the pilot, might play around with needle height.
Not meanin' to tell you your business, but get the timing done before playin' with the carbs.

Just wanting to ask, is there anything different on adjusting the timing with the gonzo versus stock TCI?
No. I think I pointed out in your thread.... you might need to file the slot on your trigger. I needed to on mine anyway. Mine isn't giving the full advertised advance. I settled on 35° at full advance and wound up at about 18° at idle. Seems to work just fine at that setting.

No. I think I pointed out in your thread.... you might need to file the slot on your trigger. I needed to on mine anyway. Mine isn't giving the full advertised advance. I settled on 35° at full advance and wound up at about 18° at idle. Seems to work just fine at that setting.
This seems like a pretty good write up on cutting that slot you mentioned. Trigger=pickup coil

https://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-timing-tweak.55209/

Trigger=pickup coil
Correct. Also known as a crank position sensor....
Yes, that's a good thread on the slot.
I just filed mine out with a round jewelers file. If you need to advance it (most likely) you'll want to file the left side of the slot.... rotate to coil clockwise.... top to the right for advance.

Correct. Also known as a crank position sensor....
Yes, that's a good thread on the slot.
I just filed mine out with a round jewelers file. If you need to advance it (most likely) you'll want to file the left side of the slot.... rotate to coil clockwise.... top to the right for advance.
Thanks Jim! I’ll check that out first👍🏻

I need to get a timing light and check it out.

Just wanting to ask, is there anything different on adjusting the timing with the gonzo versus stock TCI? (If it needs to be adjusted)
Myself, I worry with the total advance and let the idle timing fall where it may. I stand with 2many and Jim and think 35 degrees is a good place to land for total advance.

Glad the Gonzo got your bike back up and running.

Yes, the drain notch at the bottom of the cover. But, according to Pamcopete, the left side of the notch is full advance, so that would be about 40°. I'm thinking 35° would be more to the right side of the notch .....

Advance.jpg

Putting it out here for the Experts. to think about If it can help

On my 1980 XS 650 SE US Custom there appears to be a Voltage drop across the Alternator
Dropping from ca 12.4 V battery to 11.6 - 11.8 ish

This being an European model it originally had Points and mechanical Relay type regulator.
If I disconnect the green feed wire to the regulator I at this point in time have that 12.4 at the Aftermarket Boyer Bransden coil and ignition box
instead of the 11.7 ish
Which I expect makes a difference kick starting.
( shall do some more thinking and service and testing Charging has been fine )

Now he US models can have another setup for the Gonzo box. But the only problem I have ,heard on the Gonzo Box is erratic
timing --- igniting at the wrong time.
I have believed it to be the Alternator magnetic field spiking and sparking .and upsetting the gonzo box

So assuming a Gonzo user that have experienced that erratic timing advance.
Will that problem disappear if the green feed wire to the regulator is pulled and the Alternator is not energized and the sparking spiking from, it is gone
Not fully upated on the US models post 80 which I beleive is the main gonzo application.

Sorry been out of pocket for a month or so. Been cutting down trees that died in the freeze last year . I've been here for close to 40 years and these trees were fully mature when I bought the place. Really had mixed emotions about cutting some of them down. Just about have chaos Manor in a working condition so I'm ready to start more Gonzo experiments. 2 many brought me the new style magnet holder a couple of weeks ago and it's still sitting in the same spot on my desk. The heat index for every day this week is supposed to be between 105 and 110 so we'll only get to work out there at night.

Concerning erratic timing I really don't feel that it is a power supply problem. I think more likely gimpy pickups or magnets. To be honest with you I'm really surprised the stock TCI magnet still have any magnetism after 35-40 years. For those who are worried about noise, very simple noise filters are available. Inside I think there's just basically a ferrite and a capacitor. I've spent probably 20 hours observing the Gonzo box hooked up to a oscilloscope and haven't really seen any sign of power supply interference. I think I posted a scope Trace the power supply to the Gonzo on the test bench with a HF battery charger hooked up to the battery powering the Gonzo. Pretty noisy but the Gonzo works fine.

For anybody experiencing problems with their gonzo here's a cheap power filter.

Noise filter for 12v supply
https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-...4522202&sprefix=12v+noise,aps,122&sr=8-9&th=1

Yes Sir
You are far more informed on this than myself
I have been noticing a voltage drop with the automotive electronic regulator I have been using
and tried another one the same drop 12.5 on battery
If i switch on including alternator energizing the system Voltage drops to 11.8 ish
that is something I believe is making bike more difficult to start With kick starter -- I gave up on the e start 30 years ago or so.
Pulling that energizing wire into the regulator the system voltage does not drop it remains at 12.4 ish
Measured at inpin Boyer Branden Coil
So I have now temporarily inserted an On - Off switch on the Power feed
to the regulator
The plan is when the rain stops ... to switch the alternator energizing off Soft kick start ( ??? ) and when the bike starts switching on the alternator which I will notice on the Voltmeter.
Since the automotive regulator needs other wiring i already have it free to cut open and insert the switch.

Mr Jim says the 0.5 -- 0.6 drop can happen
I have had good charging
Battery is a couple of years old and of the new sealed type
Wiring is poor

The bike will run with no charging for a while and that experiment could be worth doing if any problems since it is simple.
Again this is based on the little things I have heard of the Gonzo
And if it is wrong by any reason disconnect the alternator please tell

I was thinking as a test -- experiment for those cases when problems are there as fact finding ---is the charging the source or not

I have had good charging
Battery is a couple of years old and of the new sealed type
Wiring is poor
I assume the voltage drop your seeing when you energize the rotor is with the engine not running. If thats the case then what your seeing is probably the current load of the rotor pulling down the battery voltage. I seem to remember reading here somewhere that the Boyer requires 11 volts or better to operate so you should be fine at 11.8v . Both the Gonzo and the Boyer work just fine (in other words just the same as at higher voltages), until they hit their min voltage and then they just stop. Having a switch to stop current flow into the alternator while kicking is not a bad idea but just keep in mind bad things will happen if you forget to switch it back on.:).

One question. Is the battery ah rating much lower than the stock 14ah battery ? That would effect how much current it can supply to the rotor when the engine is not running.

Back