This Will Make You Sick

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I was talking to my new neighbor today. He was doing some winterization on his house. One of his buddies was helping him. He and his buddy walked over to look at my bike in the driveway. His friend, Dave, told me how, back in the '80's and early '90's, that he worked for a guy who sold parts and only parts. He told me that they would part out XS, CB, KZ, ect, but got rid of the frames. They "disassembled" these bikes by torch. Just cut up the frames and pulled off the parts to save time.
I have talked to others who did this and it made me sick, but then Dave told me that one time his boss had about 100 XS's cut up in a week. He said he worked for him for about 7 years and just cut up Japanese bikes all day and put the parts in a warehouse to be sold. Even titled bikes got cut up because, even now, parts can bring more then a whole bike.
My jaw just dropped. I thought he was messing with me or just telling this to piss me off, but he wasn't. He also told me he feels really stupid now because, back then, they were just plain old bikes and plentiful. He only worked there for money and wasn't into bikes then, but now owns a few. He didn't think back then that a frame, whole bike and, especially, a titled bike would be worth a good amount now. It was just a job to him.
I tried to make myself feel better by mentioning that there are several different XS's. Of course he tells me, "Oh, most were those twins". Ugh!!

makes our worth more.
I hate it when a job becomes justa job. i fab/weld all day, and I love doing, it but the office BS is gettting on my nerves.

My junk yard here in Tucson has five XS650s in various stages of parts removal, and I know of three more in town that just sit. I've shown great restraint in not bringing them all home. See one or two a month riding around. An aquaintance of mine has a shop and has one XS bodder on his floor for sale. I don't think there is that much of a shortage on XSs. When I deceided that I wanted to build an XS, it was a day locating one. We are not all going to find that five hundred dollar cream puff, but if your not picky you can find nice projects with little effort.

XSs are like VW beetles. They made thousands. You want rare? Try finding a VW barndoor bus '52' to '55. Only about 200 of those still driving. Or a P-38 lightening of world war 2 fame. Only about a dozen of those still around, only three or four flight worthy.

Saw this myself, when I worked for a scrapyard in the 70's. They got train cars loaded with Ford parts. Mostly HI performance pieces like aluminum intakes , Holley four barrels, cams, short blocks, complete transmissions and most anything else you could think of. This was Ford's way of scrapping overstock and returns from dealers at the time. They set the wooden car on fire and burnt all the wood and paper away. Then all the scrap was collected and the railcar was cut up. Saw boxcars full of am/fm radios and aluminum wheels that would be worth ???? today to restorers and collectors. Funny they didnt think of recycling the aluminum. Must not have been worth it....Kev.

Back