"Thor's Hammer" Australian XS650 Bobber Build

Have you thought about lowering that tail light assembly closer to the end of the fender???

In fact yes!

I feel liking smashing it off with a boot every time I walk past it in the living room! :doh:

I actually had a long talk with my friend that sold me the donor bike originally, with this particular point being his only gripe.

Looks like I will move it towards the end of the fender over the weekend, as I really freakin hate where it is.

The only problem is, that where it is now is structurally the strongest location, with my being concerned that it will flap around too much when at the rear of the guard.

I'll also have the joy of filling more holes that I'd made in my brand new guard, but I suppose it's a small price to pay to get the build just right.

Any opinions in regards to the taillight blinker assembly moving back will be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

Very nice bike !

Looks we've got a similar setup, motor-wise.
normal points-ignition, normal alternator ?
Does the combined regulator/rectifier work with these components ?
And what else is needed , for a minimum, to start the engine ?

just a battery, the coils , and the condensator-pack ?

Last edited:
how about you run a curved flat piece of steel under the inside of the fender.

Will do two things provide structural integrity & stiffen the guard and the second sandwich the wires up into the rib of the underside of the guard and act as a cover plate protecting them from the tyre and muck.

Other thing, there is nothing stopping you from running the fender struts further back or putting curved ones in that arc back closer to the end of the fender.

Might want to mock up the number plate and see how that affects the positioning and look.

Nice build,impressive photos also. You mentioned running your taillight wires inside the fender rib,are you sure that you will have enough clearance from the tire to allow for "tire growth" at speed? I did the same thing on one of my bikes and found out the hard way what happens at 90-100 MPH. Just a suggestion.Keep up the nice work!

Very nice bike !

Looks we've got a similar setup, motor-wise.
normal points-ignition, normal alternator ?
Does the combined regulator/rectifier work with these components ?
And what else is needed , for a minimum, to start the engine ?

just a battery, the coils , and the condensator-pack ?

G'day Gerwin.

I actually have and will be using a Pamco ignition and Hugh' permanent magnet alternator kit and am ditching the stock items.

In terms of answering your questions about what will be needed to start her up, that is a bridge that I'll be crossing for the first time in the coming months.

Sorry I can't help at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

how about you run a curved flat piece of steel under the inside of the fender.

Will do two things provide structural integrity & stiffen the guard and the second sandwich the wires up into the rib of the underside of the guard and act as a cover plate protecting them from the tyre and muck.

Other thing, there is nothing stopping you from running the fender struts further back or putting curved ones in that arc back closer to the end of the fender.

Might want to mock up the number plate and see how that affects the positioning and look.

G'day Aussie.

My blog update below will fill you in with what I've done to sort this out.

Cheers

Steve

Nice build,impressive photos also. You mentioned running your taillight wires inside the fender rib,are you sure that you will have enough clearance from the tire to allow for "tire growth" at speed? I did the same thing on one of my bikes and found out the hard way what happens at 90-100 MPH. Just a suggestion.Keep up the nice work!

G'day drog.

I have thought about the risk of tyre expansion, with my hoping that my solution of welding/bonding a sheet metal strip added to the underside of the fender creating a gap for the wiring within the rib will be suitable. The current gap at the peak of the tyre is actually larger than the photos show.

Is the expansion likely to be significant with the combo that I am running?

Cheers

Steve

Wednesday, 11 January 2012 - Swiss Cheese

Well after getting my knuckles wrapped by my mate Rob who'd sold me the bike originally, and getting some very polite and constructive feedback from the fellas on XS650.com, it was obvious the taillight assembly had to be re-located.

Truth be told I was pretty hasty with where I had originally mounted last weekend, with my wanting to smash it off with my boots everytime I walked past it in the living room!

Unfortunately my ballsup has left me with a fender that resembles Swiss Cheese. I'm proud to say that I'm probably the best person I know when it comes to making holes in perfectly good metal, however, I'm not so good at repairing them.

I'm really very happy with how it looks now, with the lines of the bike remaining relatively undisturbed.

6678224775_aa76e73241_b.jpg

DSC_0988 b

6678226621_be01b15de5_b.jpg

DSC_0996 b

6678228475_1b223e75cd_b.jpg

DSC_0998 b

6678230523_e2d54a0261_b.jpg

DSC_1009 b

Cheers

Steve

Yeah much better bro! Even the cat agrees!

Told ya it look better down there. Where are the shots of the underside of the fender, did you try the cover plate like I suggested.

I got another idea for you. drill a shite load more holes in the fender and the use a piece of stainless or brass as the cover plate under neath and make it look like the holes are a feature!!!

Friday, 10 February 2012 - Kick it, kick it good!

Well it's been sometime since my latest update. Things are slowing down due to funds and electrical parts taking their time to arrive.

A concern that I had whilst most of the bike was together during the New Year period, was the fact that my beautiful brand new Mikes XS kicker smacked the Dunstall exhaust at the bottom of the stroke. For obvious reasons a solution needed to be found.

With my powers of research at full strength I managed to discover that the RD400E kicker had the same splined shaft mount. The most appealing aspect is that it has two bends that ensure the pedal pushes outwards during a downward kick. It should also blend in better than the straight XS650 kicker whilst in the "at rest" position. It seems to be of lighter construction yet am hopeful that it will be strong enough anyhow.

I picked RD400E kicker from Yambits.

Below are some comparison shots I'd taken this evening.

6851304499_716790d438_b.jpg

DSC_1015

6851305205_095c135b80_b.jpg

DSC_1016

6851305911_30fd1927c0_b.jpg

DSC_1017

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Friday, 10 February 2012 - Kick it, kick it good!

With my powers of research at full strength I managed to discover that the RD400E kicker had the same splined shaft mount. The most appealing aspect is that it has two bends that ensure the pedal pushes outwards during a downward kick. It should also blend in better than the straight XS650 kicker whilst in the "at rest" position. It seems to be of lighter construction yet am hopeful that it will be strong enough anyhow.

Ihttp://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

That's mighty useful info :thumbsup:

One of the jobs I keep putting off with my build is sorting out getting the kicker to clear the rear sets. I've been thinking about bending the stock kicker, getting the peg modified so it folds up to provide clearance, trying a SR500 or XT500 kicker, I've even contemplated leaving the electric foot in place - you name it I've thought about it but not actually done anything about it:laugh:

That RD kicker look like it could be the solution to the problem and it's the kind of solution I like (simple - like me:shrug: )

I think I shall order one of them this weekend - Thankyou for the info.

G'day Inmotion, the bikes looking awesome and the tail light looks way better in the new possie.

You can really see the time and detail going into to it.

That's mighty useful info :thumbsup:

One of the jobs I keep putting off with my build is sorting out getting the kicker to clear the rear sets. I've been thinking about bending the stock kicker, getting the peg modified so it folds up to provide clearance, trying a SR500 or XT500 kicker, I've even contemplated leaving the electric foot in place - you name it I've thought about it but not actually done anything about it:laugh:

That RD kicker look like it could be the solution to the problem and it's the kind of solution I like (simple - like me:shrug: )

I think I shall order one of them this weekend - Thankyou for the info.

You're more than welcome for the kicker tip!

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly an authority on bike building, however, I'm more than happy and willing to share any tips, hurdles and lessons learned in the hope that it helps out fellow enthusiasts.

G'day Inmotion, the bikes looking awesome and the tail light looks way better in the new possie.

You can really see the time and detail going into to it.

Thanks Pete! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com.au/

You're more than welcome for the kicker tip!

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly an authority on bike building, however, I'm more than happy and willing to share any tips, hurdles and lessons learned in the hope that it helps out fellow enthusiasts.

Thanks Pete! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com.au/

Steve,
I see you got the side stand form the bloke at Trojan Classics, he's no worries to deal with when I've bought stuff off him, Good value for Aus.

Have you looked at how you'll go hooking the stand out to put it down when your pipes a fully installed.
That's one of my problems at the moment, I've got Mikes 1 3/4 pipes and I'm not sure about getting to the stand. The old stand holds the pipe on that side way out wide and I can't get to to fit above the Stand bracket.

Cheers,
Pete

Back