Top engine mount removal

dblwlf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone here who has removed their top engine mount or doesnt utilize it please convey their thoughts on how their bikes handle without it? Considering removing mine for my build but would like to know how bikes without them handle before committing to it. Thanks

Have not run without one but have heard at least several comments about a LOT more vibration on bikes run that way. The XS650 frame is not all that stiff anyways, removing that "steering head locator" won't make it better.

On the other hand; that top mount may be the ugliest piece of "engineering" on the XS650 seems like a great place for some home brew fabricating of a more elegant replacement. there have been a few sharp looking top mounts built.

id keep it from what i here its a back and forth argument, some people keep it off to re torque the head after a rebuild but idk if most leave it off. seems like a bad idea but im a noob.

Yea I just don't know. I am running rephase and 5th gear od, but I don't know if those mods will bring the vibration down enough. I may try and work out my own mount. Not real sure yet.

Find a good twisty section of road with not just curves but changes in elevation. Then ride your bike as hard as you can through this section of road. Once with the top engine mount and once with out the mount.
This should answer your question.
This test with and without the front fender will tell you if you need the extra bracing a fender provides. If you decide the fender helps but you don't want a fender you can add a fork brace.
Leo

Last edited:
Besides the handling problems already mentioned, you will be putting additional stress on the remaining mounts. In time, they may start breaking.

XS1 was Yamaha's 1st 4 stroke attempt, so they *might* have over-engineered it a little, for a good cause though, as it turned out to be a big success.

After all these iterations of the bike up till 1984, there have been minor changes to the design for sure, both in the engine and in the chassis. But you gotta ask yourself why all the mounts stayed?

Function over form, they are there for a reason.

Exactly. Picture, if you will, one of those metronome things that sat on top of your piano as you practiced and "tic-tocked" back and forth. That's your XS motor without a top mount.

The best way for me to explain what it's like to run without the top mount is 'squirreliness' especially in the twisties. I no longer leave the top mount off for any reason if it's going to go down the road.

Works fine. Thousands of miles with out one on multiple bikes set up multiple different ways....zero issues. I can't til the difference...I'm guessing that most people that claim the can, can't also.

It's not about can or can't, you don't get the point.

It's about safety measure (that's the point of designing), and by measure, you prevent stuff from happening before it's too late.

You can't tell perhaps because you don't ride it hard enough, or just cruise casually on good flat pavement. When you attack the twisty mountain roads with potholes things can get ugly if your chassis isn't stiff enough. And when shit happens it's reassuring to know your setup is stiff enough to not flex and slings your man-bike center of gravity the wrong way.

If you lose grip or or corner too wide because your CoG is messed up during a tight turn, that's life or death situation. That may sound extreme, but that's how some of us ride, and part of the thrill (and a different story). But to take it to the (reasonable) limits, you need to have it set up and prepared the right way.

So, whether you ride it casually or ride it like you stole it, a stiffer chassis is always a plus, because it is less likely to surprise you in a bad way when shit happens.

But it's your bike, do what you like.

Can anyone here who has removed their top engine mount or doesnt utilize it please convey their thoughts on how their bikes handle without it? Considering removing mine for my build but would like to know how bikes without them handle before committing to it. Thanks

As you can see there are differing opinions on this issue....about the same as 'what oil should I use'.........
Try running it with the mount and then try without and then add to this thread about what you think.

My 650 didn't become really stable until I added a fork brace and changed to a stiffer swingarm. If I try to imagine one with the rear shocks hacked off, front fork travel reduced by a few inches, and no top motor mount, well, all I can see is myself walking faster than I'd be able to ride that thing, lol.

Back