Torque bolts???

Li'l late....
GlennTrans5th.jpg

Well I know by now that there are just as many people out there as happy as I am that I finally have the bottom end closed. However, question - should I be able to shift through all five gears at this stage? May have some adjustment wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 38
Well I know by now that there are just as many people out there as happy as I am that I finally have the bottom end closed. However, question - should I be able to shift through all five gears at this stage? May have some adjustment wrong.
It should be possible to change all gears, but one has to continually rotate the shafts to accomplish that (usually via countershaft)*. A straight on pic of the shifter pawl/star might confirm adjustment.

*visualize, if you will, the dogs on the sliders having to come into alignment before the gear change will take place and the shaft must often rotate to get that alignment

When I built my ‘76 I couldn’t get it to drop into 1st it would run through the other gears but not drop down. I was advised by another member that was normal. Once I started it there was no issue. It dropped right in. Like JPD mentioned these trans gears love movement.

When I built my ‘76 I couldn’t get it to drop into 1st it would run through the other gears but not drop down. I was advised by another member that was normal. Once I started it there was no issue. It dropped right in.
Thats what I'm thinking too Winged. Thanks for that. Don't see any need to crack her open at this stage.

New issue. Bottom end is complete as previously described BUT it seems that I have a spacer left over that defies a place to live. Best I can tell it is a 90201-25290-00 which is identified by matching to the same one used in the kick start and the clutch. Heres my question. The attached manual shows the spacer as used in the kick start mechanism. To the right it has a number 2 under each column described as A, B & C. who can tell me what that number 2 represents? Is it suggesting 2 spacers are required at that location because that's not what is shown in the diagram.

Thanks team,

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Up to two spacers may be needed? Dunno. Part #7 a spacer is also marked quan, of two.
Add washers til it doesn't slop around too much I guess. That kicker can have bit of the old (in, out) on some motors.

I'll take a stab here....
Just checked an engine that's been minimally molested. Near as I can tell, there's 2 shims. One goes just under the circlip and the other on the outside of it between the clip and the side cover. Just about all I've seen are set up that way. So my guess is the 2 in the quantity column is correct, but the drawing doesn't show the second shim.
Here's one of my motors....

1680889579372.png

Back