Torque bolts???

Here.... couldn't recall for sure so I just pulled that gear to have a look. It's a slot for a pin that sets in the crank. Not sure what year this motor is or if they're all the same....

1682450626288.png

Here.... couldn't recall for sure so I just pulled that gear to have a look. It's a slot for a pin that sets in the crank. Not sure what year this motor is or if they're all the same....

View attachment 241366
BINGO! Thats what it was looking like to me. My engine is a 447 out of a 1975. Don't know that you heard my whole story but I have been running a secondary engine I picked up years ago but want to put the original back in the bike - totally rebuilt. Long story short I keep running up against data breaches and deletions in all my manuals etc. No where have I been able to find a pic with that damn pin displayed. Thanks a million Jim.

I've forgotten all about that pin... It's been year since I took a crank out.

What is its function? Could it be a shear pin designed to engage the gear with the shaft and to shear off if the oil pump seizes up for some reason?

OK, I'm told there isn't one in Canada. But $21.95 CAD from eBay plus 2 weeks waiting and we're back on track. I know I'll find mine in all my stuff now that I've got one coming. Thanks again. Thank god for the Forum.

For little pins like that, I just use a drill bit if I lose one. Use a propane torch and heat it 'till it starts to turn straw or slightly blue in color. That'll take most of the brittleness out of it, just don't go all the way 'till it starts to turn red or orange.... that's way too hot. Then cut it off to size and there ya go.

One way to tell if you've taken most of the hardness (brittleness) out of it is to run a file across it. Before heating the file will just skate across without leaving a mark or digging in. After heating, the file should dig in and leave a mark. Take some old drill bit and practice. You want it just to the point the file starts to bite.... and not any softer. Practice practice practice.....

OK, I'm told there isn't one in Canada. But $21.95 CAD from eBay plus 2 weeks waiting and we're back on track. I know I'll find mine in all my stuff now that I've got one coming. Thanks again. Thank god for the Forum.
Did you get the pin? Chances are I may have one if you’re stuck. Lmk. I’m in Oakville. Or Jim’s drill bit trick.

Did you get the pin? Chances are I may have one if you’re stuck. Lmk. I’m in Oakville. Or Jim’s drill bet trick.
Ya, I did get one on eBay cheap. Plus, my local guy has a straight Woodruff Key for the drive gear for $8.00. If the dowel from eBay isn't right or my experimenting with Jim's drill bit exercise doesn't work out I'll give you call. Oakville ain't that far. Thanks.

A bit slow but
The woodruff key is ( Mostly ) a standardized Machine part that industrial suppliers can sell you If you can figure out the dimension which can take some googling. Slot in the axle

I believe that the hole is for locking the second wheel If you look at Jims picture No 26 +29
post # 117

I just remembered something I read a few yrs ago and never followed up on. Just tested it and sumbich if it ain't true......

Modern drill bit tech heats and tempers the flutes and the shank at different tempers.
Grabbed a bit and a file and sumbich.... that's true. Ran a file across the flutes up at the tip and no way in hell could I get it to bite. Went to the shank on the other end and the file easily bit into it.
So.... a correct size bit, cut off at the shank will work just fine... no torch needed.

I just remembered something I read a few yrs ago and never followed up on. Just tested it and sumbich if it ain't true......

Modern drill bit tech heats and tempers the flutes and the shank at different tempers.
Grabbed a bit and a file and sumbich.... that's true. Ran a file across the flutes up at the tip and no way in hell could I get it to bite. Went to the shank on the other end and the file easily bit into it.
So.... a correct size bit, cut off at the shank will work just fine... no torch needed.
Never heard that before

Cheap bits and expensive bits alike?

No, I don't think the key would stick out far enough to go through that slot in the washer. It's a pretty big slot too, much bigger than the key. I don't know what it's for, maybe visual inspection to make sure the key is engaged into the gear slot OK?

I'm trying to follow but getting lost - is there a pin and a woodroofe key ? - does the pin locate the large gear and the woodroofe key the small gear ?.
Sorry if its been explained - I've gone over the thread a few times and looked up my 77 parts manual - still lost.
Regards Ray.

The primary gear on the crank handles a lot of force so is locked in place with the heavy duty woodruff key (Part 30). Next is the oil pump gear, this has a slot in it which suggests a woodruff key, but no. The slot is there to allow you to slide the oil pump gear onto the crank and over the Dowel Pin (Part 29).

Last edited:
Back