Torque recommendations

AlanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before - I’ve looked in the technical stuff in the Garage for a list of torque settings for various bits of my 1975 B model
is there a list of these somewhere? I couldn’t find one and my Clymer manual doesn’t help. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

I've looked through all the manuals and the best list I found was from the '77 supplement. I say the best because it gives all the torque values in ranges whereas many of the other lists only give a single value. This is mainly important for things like the axles that have a cotter pin hole to align. Single values for that are just plain silly and don't work .....

77TorqueSpecs.jpg

There are only a couple from this list I do differently, namely the large acorn nuts on top of the motor (28 instead of 25) and the countershaft sprocket nut (94 instead of 86).

I've looked through all the manuals and the best list I found was from the '77 supplement. I say the best because it gives all the torque values in ranges whereas many of the other lists only give a single value. This is mainly important for things like the axles that have a cotter pin hole to align. Single values for that are just plain silly and don't work .....

View attachment 250909

There are only a couple from this list I do differently, namely the large acorn nuts on top of the motor (28 instead of 25) and the countershaft sprocket nut (94 instead of 86).
Thanks - that’s great. Was after front sprocket and rear wheel axle. Appreciate your help - as always!

For my axles, I make them "good 'n tight", align the cotter pin hole, then check them with the torque wrench set at the minimum value for that axle. So far, it's always clicked. So, I don't know exactly what my axle nuts are at, just that they at least meet the minimum value of the spec, and that's fine by me, lol.

Was after front sprocket and rear wheel axle.
If you want to get precise about this, I can help with that. The chart posted by @5twins shows rear axle torque as 86.8 to 130.2 ft/lbs. My 1982 factory service manual calls for 108 ft/lbs on the same nut. Here's what you do. Set torque wrench to 87 ft/lbs. Torque the nut. The cotter pin hole is not lined up. Set the torque wrench to 130 ft/lbs. Align the cotter pin hole using the torque wrench. Alignment must happen before the wrench clicks. Alignment will probably happen somewhere around 100 to 110 ft/lbs. Now, you can sleep at night in full confidence that the rear axle is properly torqued.

Back