UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

So a little more done today. Santa brought me an R1 front mudguard :) so I popped that on and made up some stainless allen bolts to secure it.

DSCN0858_zps581839a1.jpg

Thought I would start on the carbs and see what state they were in. I decided to rescue the original pressed steel boot surrounds and with a bit of time on the wheel, they came up like new

DSCN0859_zps603252d7.jpg

Got the carbs stripped down and the thick of the muck off them. They will need polishing and finishing off. However it was good to see they were in reasonable condition, with good diaphragms and the minimum of previous ham- fistedness showing :)

DSCN0860_zps4005372b.jpg

thats really good progress today Paul.

How did you get the boot covers looking like new ?

Really sorry to hear about Ted .Its a relief to hear that he is a lot better now.

So today, I decided to finish off the carbs and drill the rear rotor. The carbs were in pretty decent shape and with the exception of some screw heads (which I'll replace later with stainless allens) and an iffy pilot 42.5, all was well. I replaced the chewed up 42.5 pilot with a couple of new ones I had lying around. I gave the carb bodies as much pf a polish as I could and cleaned them out thoroughly. The diaphragms were good, along withe both needles and jets. All the exterior components got their turn on the wheel and polished back to their former glory :

DSCN0861_zps734285f9.jpg

DSCN0862_zpse315649d.jpg

I had already made up a template for the rotor drilling. Basically every 10 degrees 2 and three holes alternating. The width of the contact area on the disc was 40mm, so I divided it up into 6.6mm segments to mark the holes. Went round the template with a good sharp centre punch, then drilled each one at 3mm then 6mm. The key to drilling these, is to keep your drill press RPM very low, cutting fluid and keep the bit cool.
I think it turned out quite good :) Its certainly made the rotor seem more in-keeping with the bike, doesnt look so big any more and nearly matches the fronts :)

DSCN0863_zps89cf1f84.jpg

DSCN0864_zps0ebca3d4.jpg

DSCN0865_zpsd002c852.jpg

I am contemplating what to do with the rear light for this build. I was thinking a rear drop shape that will mount flush to the rear of the tail unit, however I cant seem to find one small enough.

Thoughts please :)

Back