UK Prices

acebars

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking at a project US Import 73 XS650 in the Uk its not complete missing a seat, exhausts, front mudguard and air filters as well as a few other minor parts, it's a non runner but turns freely, it's otherwise in good shape.

The seller wants 1400 pounds for it, just wondering whether anyone has any idea of uk prices and whether or not this is a reasonable amount to ask for it?

Theres one on ebay now for £1800 ,runner,looks ok,still overpriced i think but the prices seem to be going crazy!

Seems about the going rate, got mine for £575, but it was in loads of boxes!! Also now found that there are many bits missing, setting me back a lot more than I had anticipated! Probably would have been cheaper to buy a complete bike!!

So £1400 is not unreasonable from what I've described? It has no papers either but import tax is paid. I'm specifically after a pre-74 bike and I'd love to find an XS650 in a load of boxes.

That's actually how I got my CB500t for £160 it was missing the wheels, air filters, exhausts and shocks however, as well as a load of other minor hardware! Total cost probably brought me around the 1200 quid mark but at least the bike is shiny and new with lots of new parts!

Sorting it and making purchase lists took days!

I would say it's a bit on the steep side, you can get a runner for about £1600, so fight the price down if you can. Is it rust free(probably not!!)? Get ready to throw at least another grand into it if you going for it.......

Would you say it's steep for those years? 1971-72-73? They're the only ones I'm after.

It is rust free but dented on the rear mudguard, slight pitting on the upper of the front forks, generally looks fairly clean from the photos other than the missing parts.

that definitely sounds too expensive !

The missing bits are going to cost you several hundred pounds for starters and thats if you can find them.

After all that you've got a non running bike with no history and no idea of the real condition of the components.

i'd look for another bike if it were me.

Last year I paid £750 for my 79 Special us import and it was complete and registered . Ok the engine was stripped and in boxes but the bike had been running . I know there is a premium on the early bikes but that price isn't realistic imo .

sorry ...welcome to the forum by the way. There is a UK forum you might be interested in having a look at . customxs650.com

Last edited:
Its not registered and that can be very expensive if you don't get the correct documents with the bike to prove that all import taxes have been paid . then you've got to apply for a V5 more aggro and expense .

Import taxes paid, and even without all the papers I know a way of registering the bike doing everything legally, I know somebody who has done it before.

Last year I paid £750 for my 79 Special us import and it was complete and registered . Ok the engine was stripped and in boxes but the bike had been running . I know there is a premium on the early bikes but that price isn't realistic .

I know the '79 is a better bike but I think the price reflects that it is an early one that can be historically registered no tax, black plate etc. Can one of those be found for less? It has around 20,000 miles on the clock that's all the history I have.

What would an acceptable price for said bike be, if not £1400?

Peanut thanks for that site, will post up there to get some opinions as well, need to make a decision soon.

Last edited:
Way too expensive. Youre going to need to spend near on a thousand quid to get that on the road..
I wouldnt pay more than £800..& only if I really needed one...

Got my 72 xs2 for £1750,a bit more than I wanted to pay but it is a complete bike,
It was all in one piece (it isnt now ) but had been sat for about 15 yrs I reckon but it started with a new battery and fuel so I started to strip it down to rebuild,so far I have only spent £250 on it and its back on its wheels .
I have a couple of expensive bits to get now and am hoping to get it all done for another £500.
So maybe £2600 in total. If you have a lot of parts missing they are gonna cost a fair bit and are hard to find but the pleasure of doing it far outweighs the cost ,go for it .

Prices vary - and I have seen way over-priced bikes which are still 30 plus years old with not guarantee of quality.

I see you don't mind starting a project from scratch, so you know what to expect. You could be hanging around for a long while, or you could go for this one. Go with your instinct - you can't go far wrong for all the pleasure it will bring.

Anlaf

By the way, welcome to the forum, acebars.

.I would go with your instinct - it is rarely wrong. If the only consideration is money then it is the wrong time to buy anything - but this is life, and we need something to make it worthwhile.

Anlaf

XS1961 said:
Way too expensive. Youre going to need to spend near on a thousand quid to get that on the road..

Well thing is I was looking to buy a CB500t 2 years ago and I remember folks telling me oh not more than £500 for that one, not more than £800 for that one etc. etc. In the end when I did buy one for £500 it was a total lemon so I sold it and broke even. And I waited a long time because those prices never came up.

It may just be a case of buying a seat, probs £100 cleaning out the carbs, buying a battery £30, oil and other lubricants £50 + £120 registration MOT etc. etc. new tyres £150. So probs around £450 to get her on the road.

That's nearly to £2000, and yea I don't think the bike is worth that with all that in all honesty. But I also don't think it's only £800, because you can get a CB500t lemon for that price, I'd be happy to pay £1100 for it, max £1200. But seller won't budge.

ANLAF said:
You could be hanging around for a long while, or you could go for this one. Go with your instinct - you can't go far wrong for all the pleasure it will bring.
ANLAF said:
.I would go with your instinct - it is rarely wrong. If the only consideration is money then it is the wrong time to buy anything - but this is life, and we need something to make it worthwhile.

ANLAF we are in the same county! My instinct is telling me it's too expensive and not worth it, I bought a CB450 project all complete with good chrome for £700 no papers US import here in Lancashire, the seller has one just like it and is asking double for a project that is worse condition imo than I bought.

Money is always a consideration for me and I don't like overpaying for anything which is why I'd find it difficult to buy a Brit bike because they are certainly overpriced imo. I'm not always after a bargain but don't like investing in inflated prices, the CB500t happened quite by chance, the seller just listed a load of miscellaneous parts and an engine but was unclear about what it was (at the time I was trying to sling the CB500t engine in a CB450 frame), I put really high bids in but won it very cheap, I only knew I was getting an engine and some bits, when I arrived I discovered it was nearly a complete bike including frame and papers and in very good nick too! :)

Anyhow, I've just started my search for a '71-73 XS650 will see what prices come up in the future.

Thank you all for being so welcoming and such great help!

Last edited:
Keep looking, there are plenty about, the right one with the right price will show up! Don't rush into it, it will come...........

Ive never paid more than £600 for an XS ,Im lucky though, I bought 'em all when no-one over here was intrested!(not bought one recently:wink2:)
£1400 sounds steep for a non-running, incomplete & unregistered bike .
You dont know what its like inside ..
Pipes £100+
Silencers £100+
Seat £100+ Tyres £160,carbs £200+ for mikunis (£80 for half-decent 38mm stocks),wheel rebuild? Filters £30+ Front guard £100 etc. etc.

Personally Id spend another few hundred quid on a registered runner,theres loads about!

Hi again, I'm still searching, have seen prices over in the States and to be honest £1400 doesn't seem all that bad if you have to factor in half of that is shipping costs.

Are there really any 1971-73 XS 650s for that money in the UK? I've seen nothing but ones pushing £2500-3000

Have you set your heart on an XS2? Youd be better of with a later model, XS2's are 'spindlier' than post 75 models & certain parts , such as cranks,rods, pistons,tinware are harder to find...Prices are higher due to rarity..
If you bought that one for £1400 I bet you end up over the £2500 mark before its up to scratch!
Have you not tried ww.customxs650.com/index.php yet? TC had a late Yank import for sale this week for £800

Last edited:
Yep I'm dead set on the 71-73 models. I tried joining customxs650 but my registration was never approved.

I thought the crank, rods, pistons were the same throughout all years?

Last edited:
Ah I see,mate.
The XS1/2 motor has a different crank,pistons,cam & rods(256)to all the post '74 models(which use two types of crank/piston/rod setups).(you can put later crank/rods/cam/pistons in the earlier cases, my '77 motor is running XS1 internals) Theres a whole list of other minor differences ..

Back