WARNING RE AIRTECH

robo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a battery tray from airtech for my 1980 xs650 special.

The tray arrived and simply does not fit the frame. The box section is too wide and would not fit between the frame members. There is no way to make this thing fit. The tray is 7.5" wide and the frame members are 7" apart.

I contacted airtech and they suggested i cut holes in the tray with a cutting wheel, or bend my frame to fit with a bottle jack. I was not okay with either of these suggestions.

I was then told that this was my fault because I had not checked the dimensions of ths try online. In fact, the airtech website gives no dimensions and states that the tray fits the bike "to a tee". When in fact it did not fit at all.

I was told they would not refund me and only offer an exchange, even though they have no other products I want.

I gave up and sent the tray back. They package has now been returned as "refused."

In my 56 years on earth, this is the worst product, worst customer service, and worst company ever.

Attachments

• IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3790.JPG
    IMG_3790.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 220
Good info Robotham - they sell a cafe seat I was keen on.

Oh well.

Pete.

Dang it!!! Robo - not Robotham.

Stupid iPad spelll checker!!! That twice today.

Bend your frame with a bottle jack - good grief!!! :hellno::hellno:

Your post got my attention because I have dealt with them before and found them good in all respects.

I am intending to purchase a Dick Mann Replica fairing so I thought I would visit the site and check out your claim.

If you ordered Box UBBM3 it clearly states the box is designed for a XS Standard frame and not a Special unless the special is modified.
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/XS6501970-79.htm#price

After a cursory look I could not see the dimensions of the box either.

I do agree that the methods suggested for rectifying the problem and subsequent actions are unacceptable.

I will now be more circumspect with my dealings with them in the future.

Hi robo,
sure they should refund you if the thing don't fit. OTOH the shipping costs might make keeping the thing to use as a parts tray may be the best economic option.
But all the XS650s I've ever seen don't have a battery tray, there's a rubber bucket there instead.

Robo is this a communication problem?
As you say their page for the body parts for the xs650 clearly states.
UBBM3
Yamaha XS650 universal battery box

This slick battery box fits the XS650 frame to a tee. The box is flat and has a generous flange all the way around as supplied. It needs to be trimmed for final fitment like is shown in the picture.
Please note: Designed for standard XS frame. Does not fit XS650 Special frame unless the cross brace between the shocks is removed.
As can be seen at this link.

But the one they seem to be referring to are the universals as seen in this link.
Models UBBS1, UBBM1, UBBM2 or the UBBL1
Maybe they weren't clear as to the model number you ordered and paid for? Maybe the picker/packer had their head up buttkus and grabbed a universal when they should have picked the one for the XS? It could be you ordered incorrectly?

Here's the actual exchange with airtech, edited (slightly) for brevity but not content.

ME: HI. My battery tray arrived and it does not fit the frame oddly enough. The tapered section behind the battery will not fit between the upper shock mounts.

AT: is there any way you could take a cutting wheel and section out an area in the box that would accept your frame tubes? I can provide you with some loop clamps to use for attaching the box to the frame if necessary, I can't do a return as the part is made to order

ME: This is what your website says about this product.
"This slick battery box fits the XS650 frame to a tee....Does not fit XS650 Special frame unless the cross brace between the shocks is removed."
I have removed the cross brace. However, the battery box still does not fit the frame "to a tee." In fact, it does not fit the frame at all. Are you saying that, in spite of that, you will allow me to return this product?

AT I will inquire with the owner and see if we can make an exception for you since in this case you are working with a frame that will not accept the box and we will need to update our website. I will only cover the cost of the part itself if it is authorized

ME:I bought the item based on the information on your website which was clearly in error. If it had been accurate, obviously I would not have ordered the part. You are now saying you may refund the cost of the item but I am still stuck paying for shipping, not to mention the delays in getting a correct part and the hassle of shipping the item back to you.

AT:The dimensions for the battery box are listed on our website, so simply checking these against your frame would have told you all you needed to know.

ME:Here is the website listing for this part. There are, as you can see, no listed dimensions.
YAMAHA XS650 TX650 XS1 XS2 race fairing, fairings, tail, seat, front fender, rear hugger, upper, lower, bellypan, fuel tank, undertail, bobber, cafe race
Here is the page with battery boxes with dimensions. As you can also see, the UBBM3 is not included in this list.
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/XS6501970-79.htm

I ordered the part over the phone. I clearly stated what model I was buying the tray for, and I as assured that it would fit. Also, as per the website, it is supposed to fit the special with cross brace removed, though clearly it does not fit.

And as I said, I eventually just caved and sent the part back covering the cost of shipping myself. In response, they refused the delivery and sent the package back to me.

Oh, forgot this suggestion...
AT: you could simply use a bottle jack to move them back into the correct position and re-brace the sub frame.

I would/will not do business with them based on this thread. They ought to offer a full refund and return S&H. The burden is completely on them.
As many times as their name has been mentioned and site linked to it will show up on google searches. I wouldn't think airtech-streamlining would want bad press but maybe they like Mikes business model.
Send them an e-mail with this thread link.

Im a little pissed because I was told my seat would be sent in 2 weeks. Its been a month. It better fit. Im done with shitty service and shitty products.

Weekendrider, thanks for your comments. I actually told them that I would be posting on here. Strange choice indeed to provide such appalling customer service especially in the knowledge that the entire scenario would potentially be made public. A poor call both from an ethical and a business minded standpoint.

All I asked was that they do the right thing. Instead they blamed me for not checking dimensions (dimensions that are not even on their website) and now have refused to even accept the product in return. Unreal. I am 56 years old and have never dealt with customer service so appalling.

ME: As you know, there are internet forums for those of us building motorcycles, including the XS650. I will assuredly be posting on the xs650.com site the details of how you are dealing with this situation.

AT: The dimensions for the battery box are listed on our website, so simply checking these against your frame would have told you all you needed to know. Nonetheless we want to make this right for you, and threatening us with negative forum posts is not the way to get what you want.

ME:What you have offered is not satisfactory to me. This is one hundred percent your company error, not mine. You should be acknowledging your mistake and refunding my purchase price AND shipping costs with no hesitation whatsoever. If you will not respond in a fair manner, I will take the only action that is available to me. It is absurd that I even have to consider a forum post to get you to deal with this appropriately.

Here's some other non-fabulous parts of their communication.

1)
AT: can't do a return as the part is made to order but please look through all of our inventory if there is something else we can do for you.
AT:we have sold hundreds of this particular battery box, and have not had any problems to date.

If they have sold hundreds, why not just accept this in return and sell it to someone with a standard, vs special, frame? And maybe think about correcting their inaccurate website in the meantime?

2)
AT: it seems possible your frame members moved slightly when the cross brace was removed. In this case you could simply use a bottle jack to move them back into the correct position and re-brace the sub frame.

Right. So after 36 years, removing the cross brace cause the subrame members to move 3/4 of an inch? Like they have been in tension all that time? Ummm... I don't think so. Besides.... I did still have the cross brace, and I can guarantee it still fit the span between the frame members even after the new rear hoop was welded in. Which, btw, of course fit the span and was welded to that span. Jeez, dude, really?

I never understand this type of behaviour. ..... What the he!! do they expect you to do - fer cryin' in a bucket. Why don't they simply say - sorry it didn't work out, take the part back and stick it on the shelf until the next order comes in - PLUS correct their danged website.

It probably has almost $1.87 worth of fibreglas in it.....

Also Robo, you are dead right about posting this experience - knowledge benefiting the XS650 community IS the purpose of the Forum afterall - and they are foolish to expect you to do otherwise.

The other thing that is puzzling is when they told you that "threatening to make negative postings isn't the way to get what you want...." - well then, what IS the proper method because nothing else seems to have worked????? Did they actually HAVE a proposal to "make it right" for you - other than for you to take one up the tailpipe?

Hmmmmm, these folks may be candidates for.....Stupid Island....

....anyhow - it really is too bad because I like the look of their cafe seats and Brassneck bought one and seemed pleased with it.

...darn it.

littlebill- you can't find the dimensions because they are not on the website. That was just their sad attempt to make this somehow my fault.

Back