WARNING RE AIRTECH

I got a local welder to build me a tray. It cost me about half what the airtech debacle cost me for their unfortunately useless to me product, and original and return shipping. Should have gone the local route first.

Attachments

• IMG_4085.JPG
    IMG_4085.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 259
I got a local welder to build me a tray. It cost me about half what the airtech debacle cost me for their unfortunately useless to me product, and original and return shipping. Should have gone the local route first.

Damn, would he make another? Thats nice!!

For anyone else needing a custom battery/electrical box like this, consider this. Old TVs that people put out by the road......those shells are ABS plastic. Cut to size, glue together with ABS plumbing glue, good as welding, smooth the edges with sandpaper, paint or sand and polish/buff.

Scott

Good to know about your Airtech experience! I was thinking about doing a Harley sportster using their roadrace fairing. On the bright side what you have now is better than glass.

You should address your email to Mr Kent Riches, he's looking at getting rich by miss information. Clearly stating that the web page needs updating is admission that your purchase should be totally refunded.
Robo, it's good to see you stand up, I would bombard the bastards with emails......MaxPete, wot Island ?

Hi robo,
if you open the second link in wer's post #7 it does have numbers in it. Plainly sez the width is 7-1/2". I just measured my XS650 Special's frame and yes, it's width is also 7-1/4". So yeah, no matter what crosspiece gets removed, no way that battery box (nor any of them, they're ALL 7-1/2" wide) is gonna fit.
And it don't matter if they were too ignorant to know there was a width difference or not, if they won't take the thing back you are stuck with it.
Either sell it on or split & rejoin it narrower. Like Pete sez, fiberglass materials are cheap, eh?

If you click the first link there are no measurements. Just the claim it fits to a "T".
I measured just forward of the cross brace on both standard (2) and a special frame 7 1/4 inchs. So if I had bought this for a standard
I would be in the same boat.as you robo.

Hi wer,
this saga just gets weirder and weirder.
I never thought to measure the one example of an XS650 Standard frame I ever had access to but you say you've measured two of them and they are both 7-1/4" inside just like the XS650 Specials?
Meanwhile Airtech's catalog says their battery boxes are all 7-1/2" wide and shows them fitted into XS650 frames?
Photoshop rules, OK?

Its because the seat, And the whole kit), is designed for an early 70-73 frame

Pics and Statements from their site. Colored text is my assessment
"We had this ratty XS650 to start with. We kept the frame and motor, everything else was discarded."
xs_before.JPG
72 XS2 or 73 TX
"We've listed this bodykit for the 1970-79 XS1, XS2, TX650 and Standard XS650 models. Some of this stuff may fit the 80-85 Special models but the subframe is different on those years."

Frames changed dramatically with the introduction of the 74TXA and the Standard, (74-79), frame was basically the same frame as the Specials, 78-84 and had little in common with the 70-73 frames.
xs650_roller.jpg
Still the early frame, rear foot-peg bracket is the tell
"Please note:
Designed for standard XS frame. Does not fit XS650 Special frame unless the cross brace between the shocks is removed."

UBBM3_installedXS.jpg

Shock to frame mount/bracket is early frame 70-73

These Guys are advertising the XS/TX650 has the same frame from 70-79. and this seat, (above), will fit an early and later Standard Frame.

Standard frames.jpg

Awhile back, I posted some rear loop and frame pics and dimensions for a member looking to restore an early frame's rear loop, in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs1-frame-rear-size.45662/

Now, I've always been under the impression that the early frames were narrower. But, looking closely at this pic's ruler, it appears that my '71 frame is 7-3/4" inside the seat rails. (12-3/4" minus 5" on the scale).

Edit: Correction, actual measurement is 205mm (about 8").

xs1b-tailfront-jpg.63141

Last edited:
OK then,
it gets weirder yet.
Like Skull sez, all of Airtech's battery boxes fit '73 and earlier XS650s but not any of the later bikes because their frames are too narrow.
But how many owners of '74 & newer XS650s have bought an Airtech battery box?
And how many of those just sucked it up when the part didn't fit vs the number that kicked up a fuss?
I suppose not enough fuss to inspire Airtech to modify their battery box molds or even to correct their product description.
It makes me wonder, do ANY of their products fit the machines they are supposed to go on?

they are both 7-1/4" inside just like the XS650 Specials?
Meanwhile Airtech's catalog says their battery boxes are all 7-1/2" wide and shows them fitted into XS650 frames?

If they are so sure they are right and I am wrong, maybe they should pull out a tape measure and prove it.

And how many of those just sucked it up when the part didn't fit vs the number that kicked up a fuss?
I suppose not enough fuss to inspire Airtech to modify their battery box molds or even to correct their product description.
It makes me wonder, do ANY of their products fit the machines they are supposed to go on?

Good questions.

Its because the seat, And the whole kit), is designed for an early 70-73 frame.
These Guys are advertising the XS/TX650 has the same frame from 70-79. and this seat, (above), will fit an early and later Standard Frame.

Super interesting. Makes you wonder to whom they have sold "hundreds" of these.

I came to the conclusion, (post #32), that these guys are selling a product that has been made for the early, (70-73), XS/TX 650.

I measured a 74TXA Standard frame and an 80SG Special frame, just behind the cross brace where it welds to the frame side rails slightly forward on the frame in relation to the Top rear shock mount bolts.

Using 2m's pic i transferred the measurement for the 74-79 Standard and 78-84 Special.........177mm
Will reattach when i update the pic
I dug up Frame Parts files for the early framed 70-73, later 74-79 Standard and 78-84 Special frames.

From Airteck's site a picture of the bike they show that was used for the creation and design of the UBBM3 Battery box
1a xs_before copy.jpg

This is the same frame as per pic above parts file.

Note the lack of cross brace on the frame in the area between the shock mounts.

74-79 Frame
2; 74TXA-75XSB-76C-77D-78E-79F 1 copy.jpg

3; 77D 1.jpg

Note the cross brace on the Standard 74-79 frame. Also note the rear foot-peg mount.

From Airtech site, they state................ "We've listed this bodykit for the 1970-79 XS1, XS2, TX650 and Standard XS650 models. Some of this stuff may fit the 80-85 Special models but the sub-frame is different on those years.

UBBM3
Yamaha XS650 universal battery box

This slick battery box fits the XS650 frame to a tee. The box is flat and has a generous flange all the way around as supplied. It needs to be trimmed for final fitment like is shown in the picture.

Please note: Designed for standard XS frame. Does not fit XS650 Special frame unless the cross brace between the shocks is removed.

UBBM3_installedXS 1.jpg

To sum up to this point they say the battery box will fit all Standards 70-79 and may fit Special frames if the Cross brace is removed.

Yamaha parts files show the 70-73 frame without a cross brace and the 74-79 Standard frame with a cross brace.

Airtech has not done their research and are claiming a product is designed to fit both a 70-73 frame and the redesigned 74-79 frame.

79 Special II and 80G Special II
4; 79 Special II copy.jpg

5; 80 G Special II-81-82-83-84 Specials-HS 1.jpg

Note the cross brace, same as the 74-79 Standards

74-79 Standard and 78-84 Special frames are almost identical except for a few brackets/tabs, slightly different rear hoop and the different, Muffler foot-peg mount bracket.

Again from Airtech, They state............

Battery box
"UBBM3
Yamaha XS650 universal battery box

This slick battery box fits the XS650 frame to a tee. The box is flat and has a generous flange all the way around as supplied. It needs to be trimmed for final fitment like is shown in the picture.

Please note: Designed for standard XS frame....................... Does not fit XS650 Special frame unless the cross brace between the shocks is removed.

Body kit.
"We've listed this bodykit for the 1970-79 XS1, XS2, TX650 and Standard XS650 models. Some of this stuff may fit the 80-85 Special models but the subframe is different on those years.

No this is wrong..............The whole frame changed in 74 and the Special frames are the same as the 74 Standard.

Airtech are falsely selling and claiming a product will fit all Standard XS650's, (for the period between 74-79 and stating misleading information about the 74-79 Standard frame), when it will clearly not fit. They are also making misleading or falsely representing and selling a product they state will fit the models between 78 and 84 if a cross brace is removed.

As proven the 74-84 frames are effectively the same frame.

The UBBM3 and Racing body kit are not a bolt on for any model XS650 from 74 and on. These parts are made exclusively for the 70-73 frame, there is little chance any of these parts, (especially the UBBM3), will fit or bolt onto any frame made after 74. Some external parts may be made to fit, made to fit is the operative, because of the major frame change in 74

Last edited:
Back