WARNING RE AIRTECH

Thanks Pete,

robo mentioned in post #1 his Special frame was 1/2" narrower than the box. My findings corroborate the 1/2 inch narrower difference in width on his Special My measuring stick is in mm and by 2M's pic my 177mm inside measurement across the frame for the 74-79 standard and 78-84 Special is about 13mm narrower than 2M's 190mm on his 70-73 frame. this equates to roughly 1/2" .

If someone rattled the cage in the right direction in conjunction with some expert advice, then, IMO, using this thread a refund could be had

Agreed - and perhaps the Airtwch folks could be persuaded to:
A) correct their website information;
B) produce a new line of products that REALLY fit later model bikes;
C) give Robo the refund which is his due.
The point is that by some accounts, they do make nice cafe parts for our 650s - but if they don't fit then they'll also be producing unhappy customers which no business should want to do.

Thanks, Pete,

robo post #1 says the box is 1/2" wider than the frame rails. My conclusions were the same.

My measuring stick is in mm and i got 177mm inside measurement between the seat rails just behind the Cross brace on a 74TXA Standard and 80SG Special frame. 2M's pic, (71B), shows 190mm inside measurement between the frame rails at the rear fender mounts.
.190mm
-177mm
.. 13mm = 1/2"

My posting this information is also a means to help get a refund. Taking screen shots of Airtech's site, relating to relevant information, used in conjunction with the information i have posted and the right approach after some expert advice, i think Airtech would want to give a refund. This information can help them for the future as well.

All this input is much appreciated. Amazing thoroughness, Skull. I have forwarded this link to the airtech folks. Rejecting my attempted return was a pretty lowbrow move on their part so I am not optimistic. We shall see how they respond. They owe me twice what I paid just for the hassle factor by this point. ;-)

I would follow up with a very contained and polite phone call to say that while you don't intend to be unpleasant, you, and your friends in the motorcycling community really feel that a better course of action would be A), B) and then C) as pointed out above.

Otherwise, they risk alienating a large portion of their potential customer base - which is not a good business strategy.

If Airtech had accepted your return they would be obliged to give you a refund or offer alternative part. They could look upon your returning it as an aggressive move.

I am looking at this from both views. They may be in the wrong but once dealings get to this stage your sending back the package without their consent is interpreted as you trying to force their hand.

Pete beat me....................

I agree to take a step back and come in from a humble stance.

The one thing that realy stuck with me when doing some google search on XS650 frames.............was..................very little information and what there was it is easy to get confused from overlapping information between early 70-73 frame mixed up with the 74TXA Frame. I have a 74TXA Brochure with all the 74TXA Tins and 74 wheels, everything, stating and showing off the totally new frame design.............The pic in the brochure shows the early 70-73 frame.

So to be somewhat fair....................

...and the other point is that while the frames may have evolved quite a bit, the engine are externally nearly identical (I do realise that there are major internal differences) and most of the running gear, save the 34-35 mm fork change in 1977 - is similar over a 15 year production run. That is nearly unique in motorcycles (except of course for the British brands) - and it does make is easier to see why people could get lulled into thinking that nothing changed at all.

I would also be looking at facebook. I couldn't find a link on their site but they do say

"Make sure to "like" us on Facebook because that's where we post all the hot new stuff first.
If you like what you see here please share this page with your friends!

. If they get wriggly threaten to post a link on face book, to this thread, with a short and sweet reason for the link.

...and the other point is that while the frames may have evolved quite a bit, the engine are externally nearly identical (I do realise that there are major internal differences) and most of the running gear, save the 34-35 mm fork change in 1977 - is similar over a 15 year production run. That is nearly unique in motorcycles (except of course for the British brands) - and it does make is easier to see why people could get lulled into thinking that nothing changed at all.

True................But...................if your in business you need to do your homework. ....................These guys have made a product thinking they cover a 9 year range and even state that with some mods they cover the 80-84 years covering every XS650 range for their Battery box and Racing Fairing Kit for the full 14 years.

Now that is some range for one product.

Reality is the battery box and Racing Fairing Kit fit the XS650 for the first 4 years only. And because these early years are now collector items there is less market for chopping or street modifying............................homework/research

...maybe that was a shot (get it??) of their design engineering office.....

If Airtech had accepted your return they would be obliged to give you a refund or offer alternative part... sending back the package without their consent is interpreted as you trying to force their hand.

Actually, they already agreed to an exchange. I was insistent upon a refund (their mess up, and they have nothing else that I want), but either way, they had agreed already to take tha part back. And then refused it.

" I can't do a return as the part is made to order but please look through all of our inventory if there is something else we can do for you"

"I am happy to exchange the part"

Excellent posts, Skull. As important and authoritative as this thread has become, I decided that I better scamper out there and take an ACTUAL measurement.

It's worse than we thought.
My '71 XS1B's inner frame rail spacing is actually 205mm (about 8").
Measured several points, from ahead of the battery box to the upper shock mounts. All the same 205mm.

Camera parallax on that previous pic makes it appear narrower.

My bad.

Updated my previous post for this 205mm inner dimension...

Last edited:
So.... airtech has manufactured a part that fits a '71 xs1B "too a tee" and then sold it like it will fit a 1980 special frame (my bike) as long as the cross brace is removed. Which, clearly, it won't fit. And then refused to refund my purchase price. Hmmmm... Not exactly stand up business practice, eh.

This is all a bit frustrating. All they need to do is take a tape measure to a few frames and also to their battery trays, and then refund me or not. No need for unfair accusations by them, or bad business dealings, or crazy theories about frame members moving after braces are removed, or unfair finger pointing about me not looking at dimensions on a website. The thing either fits, or it doesn't.

I would consider their Facebook page (which WR linked) or make a small video and post it on Youtube. Post the findings with measurements and read off their replies in the video. If you add their name to the title and part name, and several people watch it, then whenever someone searches that part or their name the video will pop-up on Google.

They're still promoting it.
I suspect there will be a few disappointed owners of later frames to come, yet.
Which is a damn shame, as I really like the look of that.
JmAQjnF.jpg

Back