Welding table almost complete

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I posted in this thread a while ago about the steel plates I got to use as a top for a smallish welding/fixture table. Well I finally got around to making a stand so I thought I'd show you guys what I've been up to.

The top is only about 32" x 42", but 1-1/4" thick so it weighs about 525lbs. :) They were used as machine bases and are flat to within a few thousands.

Here's a picture with the temporary stand I made for the two top pieces when I first got them.

weldtable01.jpg

I flipped the plates upside down and built the new base for the table using 2" square tubing. It took a lot more work to get this far than I thought it would! I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so that didn't help!

weldtable03.jpg

It has 3/8" plates that the corners of each top piece bolt to. Each piece can be individually leveled using set screws. The stand also has swivel leveling feet to level the whole thing. The top has a 2.5" overhang all the way around to make it easier to clamp things to it.

weldtable04.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of it pretty much done. I just need to add a shelf on the bottom and actually level the top pieces on the base. I might also add a few tool holders.

weldtable05.jpg

weldtable06.jpg

My 5" Wilton (Snap-on branded) Vise! Great Craigslist score!
weldtable07.jpg

Putting the table to use:
frame_jig_kit_assembled2.jpg

That's really cool Travis!
Ya gonna add an adjustable (height wise) swing-out seat? Mine was done with a mechanisim like on pipe stands. It sure comes in handy at times. Especially when friends are over for a cold one!

Very nice and very heavy duty. Although it's probably a bit late for you, I designed mine with slots in the table top for sliding fixtures. This allows me to slide them all over the table and also clamp through the slots on the table interior. Another nice addition is a bolt welded to one of the legs for the ground lead. I made a lead with an eyelet end for this. I haven't used a ground clamp in years, lol.

WeldingTable.jpg

TableGround.jpg

5twins, I might rent a mag drill and drill a pattern of holes to bolt fixtures to. I've also thought about getting the holes cut on a waterjet but haven't priced that out yet. I've read about people using old milling tables with T-slots for welding tables. That would be cool.

Ironsled77, no spare tops. I keep checking Craigslist for 'welding table' and sometimes nice stuff pops up. Also, no link to the frame jig yet, but I've attached a shot of the DIY frame jig kits I'm going to start selling. The kit will include all of the brackets and hardware for a fully adjustable bolt together frame jig. All that's needed is about 17' of 3"x2" or 2"x2" tube and it can be disassembled and tucked away when you're done. The kits won't look exactly like this, since this was my prototype and not everything is shown, but this is gives you an idea of what I'll be offering. I'll post pricing and availability details later in a new thread. I'm hoping to have these available about the first week of April. The neck cones are holding me up. [end plug]

Attachments

• frame_jig_kit.jpg
    frame_jig_kit.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 338
Nope, just muscled them around. I built the wooded base right away and slid them out of my truck onto that. Then used a five foot 2x4 as a lever to get moving dollies under each side to move it into the garage. When I was ready to build the steel base, I had a buddy help me flip the plates over on the wooded base. The second time I flipped them over myself and slid them from the wooden base to to the new one. Sliding them isn't that bad, but flipping them isn't that easy. I just redid the calculations and one plate weighs about 250lbs and the other 275lbs. The whole thing weighs about 700 lbs with the vise. I did use my engine hoist to move my lathe around. That sucker is heavy too.

Nope, just muscled them around. I built the wooded base right away and slid them out of my truck onto that. Then used a five foot 2x4 as a lever to get moving dollies under each side to move it into the garage. When I was ready to build the steel base, I had a buddy help me flip the plates over on the wooded base. The second time I flipped them over myself and slid them from the wooden base to to the new one. Sliding them isn't that bad, but flipping them isn't that easy. I just redid the calculations and one plate weighs about 250lbs and the other 275lbs. The whole thing weighs about 700 lbs with the vise. I did use my engine hoist to move my lathe around. That sucker is heavy too.

Man I gotta have one of the Frame Jig Kits, Whats the Status?

Back