What have you done to your XS today?

This is the self-powered (2 D Cells) Sun Strobe timing light I bought in the '70's to time the hot-rodded VW aircooled engines I built. Its been with me ever since. So easy to use: just clip on the spark plug lead and press the button. No longer made by Sun, but you'll find 3 companies selling something similar today. $40 - $70.

Look closely and you'll see marks made by many a spinning pulley when the light fell in the engine bay. :D

View attachment 208035

View attachment 208036
Cool VeeDub What size? I used to race Formula V, At one time I drove a 74 Westphalia, wife drove a 72 Ghia, daughter a 74 Beetle and my son had a 72 Squareback. Had a spare 009 distributor ready to go, along with a ton of spares and parts cars. Oh how I long for the simple life again.

Cool VeeDub What size? I used to race Formula V, At one time I drove a 74 Westphalia, wife drove a 72 Ghia, daughter a 74 Beetle and my son had a 72 Squareback. Had a spare 009 distributor ready to go, along with a ton of spares and parts cars. Oh how I long for the simple life again.

Hey! A VW guy! There are a bunch of us around this place. Altho I eventually let go of them in the 90's, I had quite a collection like you did. Here is one of my Ghias which I restored, modified, sculpted, lowered and painted.

GHIA_small.jpg

I'm a former racer, too. I considered Formula V after attending races at The Glen in the 70's, but settled into formula karts (Enduro type), racing at all the great sportscar tracks east of the Mississippi. Send me a PM if you wanna talk racing ....

Hey! A VW guy! There are a bunch of us around this place. Altho I eventually let go of them in the 90's, I had quite a collection like you did. Here is one of my Ghias which I restored, modified, sculpted, lowered and painted.

View attachment 208617

I'm a former racer, too. I considered Formula V after attending races at The Glen in the 70's, but settled into formula karts (Enduro type), racing at all the great sportscar tracks east of the Mississippi. Send me a PM if you wanna talk racing ....
Can't let the wife see your Ghia picture. She misses hers. She knows that with aging knees and back that a car that low won't work anymore, but she really loved that car. I got to race a Datsun 510 at The Glen in '98. I raced FV from '83 to '90, mostly in the S.E. but I did race in the FV 25th anniversary race at Road America. I towed it with my 74 Westphalia 1.9 liter from N.E. Fla. What great memories.

I had problems with a miss match rear spindle of 17mm fitting the Standard 52mm/ 62mm OS diameter x 20mm IS diameter Bearings.
5 Twins & Halfmile came up with solutions by changing the bearings and using a reducing sleeve from another machine; Jan-P found the reducing sleeve and pointed me at local parts supplier in UK. Bought the bits and I'm now ready to progress using the existing 17mm spindle....Hooray!:thumbsup:

IMG_1404.JPEG

REDUCING SLEEVE FROM XS400 / RD400 Etc

IMG_1401.JPEG
IMG_1402.JPEG

SLEEVE IN BEARING & COGNITO MOTO HUB.

Thanks so much to the guys mentioned above, much appreciated.
More on this in the Welsh Flat Tracker build thread next week. :devil:

I had one of those FT500 Ascot's in the 80's, not a bad bike, lot's of fun but starter was a weak link.
The bendix gears are sintered and they don't cycle out to fully mesh across the entire tooth width with each other so will wear quickly and become non-functional.
During replacement I noted the wear issue and shimmed with washers to get more tooth engagement and had no further trouble with it.
A friend has this bike. It has some abuse from a home invasion. While he can restore a wooden boat plank by plank he wanted to find a qualified mech to replace starter (no kick start). We loaded it on a trailer today and got it to a shop that will replace the starter motor.
I had not trailered a bike before unless 40 years ago counts. View attachment 207835

Time to bleed.. A new 12.7mm M/C, fresh braided line and 3/16 fuel line. 5/16 wrench with the box end on the bleed nipple.
Bleeding front brake. New M/C and brakeline. I get that 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch into the tube and no more. No feel at all at the lever.The caliper/brake shoes seem to be retracted, it moves around on the carrier.
16461694790226071093718125729902.jpg

Bike wont start without a lot of throttle and misfires till high revs. Also blowing smoke and as soon as I close the throttle the engine stalls . It's done 500 kilometres since new crankshaft, pistons and rings and head rebuild . It was running ok, a bit hard to start so I tried to sync the one into two throttle cable and checked the timing and now it's unrideable.

Cleaned it up, checked all nuts and bolts and oil change. I too put goop on the sump plate, but was lucky and most of it didnt stick to the crankcase. Back together with the equivalent of Hylomar. Ready for the riding season! Sorry for the glare in the pic.

View attachment 208867
Veeeerrrry nice looking XS

Bike wont start without a lot of throttle and misfires till high revs. Also blowing smoke and as soon as I close the throttle the engine stalls . It's done 500 kilometres since new crankshaft, pistons and rings and head rebuild . It was running ok, a bit hard to start so I tried to sync the one into two throttle cable and checked the timing and now it's unrideable.
Did I mention im an Oldfart #. I installed the slides in the wrong carb with the cut away on the inlet side when I re-routed the throttle cable. Had me worried with all the smoke coming out of the exhausts thinking I'd done the valve seals wrongly. It's a wonder it even ran, this is what happens when the wife has a bad day and starts pouring me drinks while I'm in the garage working on the bikes. Lessen learned.

Fouled a spark plug maybe?

Cleaned it up, checked all nuts and bolts and oil change. I too put goop on the sump plate, but was lucky and most of it didnt stick to the crankcase. Back together with the equivalent of Hylomar. Ready for the riding season! Sorry for the glare in the pic.

View attachment 208867
Great looking bike Bosco.

Still working the front end. Finished painting and polishing, and clear coating the front disk, sanded, polished, and clear coated 50 years of nicks and scratches off the throttle side fork tube, and got the clutch side out of the triple tree. It is coming along nicely. Got to get this bike finished so I can get the BMW out of storage once the weather breaks. I have a bunch of work to do on that one, and there won't be any riding until it is done.

Attachments

• IMG_4898.jpg
    IMG_4898.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4901.jpg
    IMG_4901.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4907.jpg
    IMG_4907.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4910.jpg
    IMG_4910.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 52
I did a lot of second guessing. How hard can it be? I have done autos often over the last 30 years, generally with a leg man pumping, some swearing and maybe a beer or two to pass the time. After the second bottle of fluid I started to wonder about the sensibility of pumping and air bubble DOWN a brake hose and was considering ways to mount the M/C low, the caliper high, not spill fluid and open and close the bleeder valve wihtout twisting and upsetting the caliper.:)
It took a lot of pumping the Mighty Vac and the brake lever to get 2 1/2 bottles of DOT3 (30 oz) through the system before I got resistance at the lever.

Back