What have you done to your XS today?

Took the XS out on the highway today for its first run with the 34T rear sprocket. Pretty happy with the way it ran. 100 kph / 4100 rpm; 110 kph / 4500 rpm; 120 kph / 5100 rpm. Those engine speeds are good for me because I rarely ride the highway and if I do, I’d say 110 - 115 kph would be max for me. Acceleration through the gears is much more enjoyable. Clutch pull is good now with the snake oil lube and EBC springs in there. I’d say it’s a 1-1/2 to 2 finger pull on the lever now. Used to be a tough 4 finger pull.

Got some seat time in on the Ducati too. It’s reality a joy to ride that bike. Not perfect but does most thinks fairly well.

Received my new correct length spokes so I fitted and did an initial truing, even though I sent them a sample of all 4 different spokes I still have a tiny bit of thread showing on the front wheel. My theory is that the new nipples seat into the rim slightly higher resultinginthe spoke not enteringthe nipple quite as far, its quite minimal really so I'll live with it.

Drained the tank (for the lawn mower...Oh err!).
Filled with E5 fresh petrol (E5 is all we have in these parts of Wales); test fire up tomorrow.

Also renewed my insurance with Carol Nash classic for £245.00; twelve month cover including breakdown recovery and legal cover just incase I run into a breeding sheep or summat? Bloody bit late for that as I've eaten a few lambs already during Easter! Don't forget the mint sauce.

Time to take the bike off SORN (Legal off road notification to the Government bod's).
And just ride it at last. :bike:
Ads.:devil:

Received my new correct length spokes so I fitted and did an initial truing, even though I sent them a sample of all 4 different spokes I still have a tiny bit of thread showing on the front wheel. My theory is that the new nipples seat into the rim slightly higher resultinginthe spoke not enteringthe nipple quite as far, its quite minimal really so I'll live with it.
Wish I had just a tiny bit of thread showing on mine. After I laced my front wheel up I found I had about 3mm of thread showing. Pulled a couple of spokes and compared them to the stock spokes and sure enough, thread was 3mm longer.
All I got from the supplier was a series of abusive texts and emails and he cancelled my account.
Fortunately, Heiden's spokes were a better fit on the rear wheel.

Attachments

• 327257270_3544686019150947_8434211127176895520_n.jpg
    327257270_3544686019150947_8434211127176895520_n.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 327545512_708758697392489_4464033379545322007_n.jpg
    327545512_708758697392489_4464033379545322007_n.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 325783797_944982126541622_6870792571050892247_n.jpg
    325783797_944982126541622_6870792571050892247_n.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 41
Earlier in the week I swapped out the front and rear tires for better shod mounts, it's nice to have spare parts and pieces - though I oft find I'm spending more time doing dress up.....or dress down with these options than riding.
The main point I want to bring up is how much I love the Standard swing arms.....how much I love the Standard swing arms.....how much I love the Standard swing arms........
I do believe that if I ever were to acquire a Special again, the first mod will be to swap that swing arm for a Standard.

Well, nothing today
Beers and working on my bus !

But, I’m in bike final assembly. This weekend will include brake fluid change, new fork springs and fork oil
I had a '74 Westphalia non-pop top camper. Put a big bore kit and a Weber on it. Used to tow my Formula Vee with it. The wife and I loaderd it up and drove from north Florida to Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin for the 25th B-Day Party for Formula Vee in '88. She never missed a beat and doubled as a motel. I miss those days.

I had a '74 Westphalia non-pop top camper. Put a big bore kit and a Weber on it. Used to tow my Formula Vee with it. The wife and I loaderd it up and drove from north Florida to Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin for the 25th B-Day Party for Formula Vee in '88. She never missed a beat and doubled as a motel. I miss those days.
They are awesome rides ! I grew up with these , a 72 tin top with bench seats was our family’s car when I was a kid. This one is a 77, been in the family since new.
Undergoing final assembly as well, with a Subaru JDM repower. Rads are twin cross flowed Honda race spec civic items sitting where the batteries normally live ( battery is now in a box under the back seat
So, no obvious signs from the outside that it’s been repowered
Stock engine was 70hp on a good day…now it’s about 225….

Wish I had just a tiny bit of thread showing on mine. After I laced my front wheel up I found I had about 3mm of thread showing. Pulled a couple of spokes and compared them to the stock spokes and sure enough, thread was 3mm longer.
All I got from the supplier was a series of abusive texts and emails and he cancelled my account.
Fortunately, Heiden's spokes were a better fit on the rear wheel.
Ah this is after the spokes that were 3mm too much thread showing, thankfully they admitted their mistake and replaced them for me.

Drained the tank (for the lawn mower...Oh err!).
Filled with E5 fresh petrol (E5 is all we have in these parts of Wales); test fire up tomorrow.

Also renewed my insurance with Carol Nash classic for £245.00; twelve month cover including breakdown recovery and legal cover just incase I run into a breeding sheep or summat? Bloody bit late for that as I've eaten a few lambs already during Easter! Don't forget the mint sauce.

Time to take the bike off SORN (Legal off road notification to the Government bod's).
And just ride it at last. :bike:
Ads.:devil:

Finished the paperwork today with DVLA / Post office so all legal now........ Hoorah!
Hopefully the lovely weather we have had today will hang around tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Then its the first ride of the year :rock:

DSCF1462.JPG

They are awesome rides ! I grew up with these , a 72 tin top with bench seats was our family’s car when I was a kid. This one is a 77, been in the family since new.
Undergoing final assembly as well, with a Subaru JDM repower. Rads are twin cross flowed Honda race spec civic items sitting where the batteries normally live ( battery is now in a box under the back seat
So, no obvious signs from the outside that it’s been repowered
Stock engine was 70hp on a good day…now it’s about 225….
It was reckoned back in the day the standard VW gearbox was good for 300bhp through it.

Whew! got it......was very close to being drilled/ez outed, but a heat gun, PB Blaster and some careful screwdriving succeeded
20230416_163504 (2).jpg

Was torn betwix rebuilding these '75 carbs and sticking a set of '79 carbs on; shall proceed with the '75's for now.........

Back