What have you done to your XS today?

20231216_164328.jpg
Musical Chairs Engines Continued
Got the motor out of the 76 frame and into the 78 Special. Sometimes they just click in and sometimes they fight (usually depends on the amount of stuff ya left on the frame and the amount of help handy, I had lots and none respectively, so my go to is to simply strap the motor in so it can't fall out and put the bike back up on the stand. With a bit of wiggling, levering and pushing screwdrivers through the bolt holes to line them up, it falls into place.
20231216_173258.jpg
So tomorrow I plan to take the numbers matching 76 engine off the stand and install it where it belongs.
I am not a big proponent of matching numbers especially for these machines, but if it's available why not. Besides, this one has a great back story.
I am planning to use all the good stuff I have been saving for the 76 and the BBK Special will be a bit of a hot rod.

View attachment 257624
Musical Chairs Engines Continued
Got the motor out of the 76 frame and into the 78 Special. Sometimes they just click in and sometimes they fight (usually depends on the amount of stuff ya left on the frame and the amount of help handy, I had lots and none respectively, so my go to is to simply strap the motor in so it can't fall out and put the bike back up on the stand. With a bit of wiggling, levering and pushing screwdrivers through the bolt holes to line them up, it falls into place.
View attachment 257626
So tomorrow I plan to take the numbers matching 76 engine off the stand and install it where it belongs.
I am not a big proponent of matching numbers especially for these machines, but if it's available why not. Besides, this one has a great back story.
I am planning to use all the good stuff I have been saving for the 76 and the BBK Special will be a bit of a hot rod.
I have kind of a similar situation going on. My 80 special ll is stripped down and frame painted. Waiting for my grandson (6 years old)to arrive from
California, to "help me" with replacing original engine back in frame and celebrate Christmas.

20231215_093405.jpg
20231215_093417.jpg
Pets.jpg
Been looking for a pair of early original petcocks for my XS1. Found a set off a bike being parted out at a good price, so took a chance on them. They turned out to be in decent condition, but were pretty gunked up inside. Looks of soaking, cleaning, and polishing, plus new gaskets. They look and work great.

20231220_161046~2.jpg
Installing rear brake system, this bike was nothing but a frame when I bought it, so took a minute rooting through the shelves to find a mount for the master cylinder reservoir, then for the brake line clips to hold it the the swing arm. Have all I need now.
More work tomorrow, quite enjoying this rebuild.
20231220_161115.jpg

Not much, but Madness front brakes were getting grumpy this year.
I'd changed an upper hose for a longer one and brake pads "several years ago" so maybe I'd flushed the fluid, :shrug:
KIMG5417.JPG
KIMG5416.JPG
Not sure if this had been grease or just spooge under the dust boots. Took me several tries and an o-ring to seal the air gun to the port to blow the pistons out. Yes used a rag to prevent a projectile launch!
KIMG5411.JPG

KIMG5412.JPG
All this and more came from BEHIND the caliper bore sealing ring...
KIMG5415.JPG
Yeah guess it was time for the R&R, pistons were great, no corrosion, MC bore cleaned up shiny. Used the patented GG no bleed install, first time on a dual caliper system, worked great, was able to fill the reservoir with just finger pressure on the caliper pistons. Changed to an even longer upper hose, (the older I get, the higher I like my handlebars) all lines are SS/teflon so left the lowers in service. Cleaned, polished a bit, and back together. Suppose I need to do the back brake too. :rolleyes:

Suppose I need to do the back brake too. :rolleyes:
Uh, yeah. Apparently, you don’t change fluid every two years.

I need a system for keeping track of maintenance like this. Cars, motorcycles, mower, etc. It’s out of hand and I’m headed for similar issues. XS650G has the original brake fluid, I was told. The brake still works OK as far as I can tell.

Uh, yeah. Apparently, you don’t change fluid every two years.

I need a system for keeping track of maintenance like this. Cars, motorcycles, mower, etc. It’s out of hand and I’m headed for similar issues. XS650G has the original brake fluid, I was told. The brake still works OK as far as I can tell.
I keep a maintenance ring binder with sheets for each bike, Madness has five pages filled and a lot hasn't been recorded. :unsure:
The cars each get a little notebook in the glovebox.
I've never opened an MC brake system that didn't need clean up.

Last edited:
. . . I keep a maintenance ring binder with sheets for each bike . . .
Yeah, I like to try and keep organised on the paperwork & record keeping side of things. Three bikes and know I'd soon get muddled and confussed if didn't attempt to write it all down. Ring binders and folders for each bike, sections for receipts, service notes and I even draft up service checklists, print, fill in and file em so I know when each bike needs looking at. Like me head . . .

Yeah, I like to try and keep organised on the paperwork & record keeping side of things. Three bikes and know I'd soon get muddled and confussed if didn't attempt to write it all down. Ring binders and folders for each bike, sections for receipts, service notes and I even draft up service checklists, print, fill in and file em so I know when each bike needs looking at. Like me head . . .
Who here keeps digital records? Anybody?

Not much, but Madness front brakes were getting grumpy this year.
I'd changed an upper hose for a longer one and brake pads "several years ago" so maybe I'd flushed the fluid, :shrug:
View attachment 258044
View attachment 258048
Not sure if this had been grease or just spooge under the dust boots. Took me several tries and an o-ring to seal the air gun to the port to blow the pistons out. Yes used a rag to prevent a projectile launch!
View attachment 258045

View attachment 258046
All this and more came from BEHIND the caliper bore sealing ring...
View attachment 258047
Yeah guess it was time for the R&R, pistons were great, no corrosion, MC bore cleaned up shiny. Used the patented GG no bleed install, first time on a dual caliper system, worked great, was able to fill the reservoir with just finger pressure on the caliper pistons. Changed to an even longer upper hose, (the older I get, the higher I like my handlebars) all lines are SS/teflon so left the lowers in service. Cleaned, polished a bit, and back together. Suppose I need to do the back brake too. :rolleyes:
Wow that looks a bit angry in there. I try to flush my brakes every couple of years on my bikes but don’t do this in my cars (just because I’m lazy). After seeing this I suppose I should do a complete flush in the springtime. I was pleasantly surprised the Honda’s brake fluid was so clean after 28 years. I doubt very much the po had changed the fluid.

I’m bad for record keeping. I guess it’s impirtant when selling a vehicle. I’ll try to be more diligent on the Moto Guzzi. It would all be old school manual records.

Overall I find paper and pencil is more durable AND accessible than any electronic record system.
The bike notebook is by the lift, where most maint. gets done.
Well, it’s certainly better than what I’m doing. Maintenance by “I guess it’s time.”

I'm hoping to. I want to recover my wifes old lap top, thought an excel spread sheet for each vehicle would work nice then save it on a flash drive just incase it crashes again.
I do this with our fleet of cars. I have two teenage daughters driving for a total of four cars in the household. A 2011 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda Pilot, 2015 F150, and 2020 Honda Pilot. With two of them encroaching 200k and no intentions of getting rid of any, I find it very important to keep track of what has been done. I’ve been very happy with the Hondas, but I need to stay on top of the maintenance if we want to see 300k out of them. Just a simple spreadsheet with dates, mileage, location of repairs (shop or home) and descriptions of the jobs. I was also able to track all maintenance records of all cars back since new. If I ever do sell one I’m sure the buyer will appreciate the records. My wife laughs at me, but it’s a lot to keep track of. I do not do this with my bikes though.

I do this with our fleet of cars. I have two teenage daughters driving for a total of four cars in the household. A 2011 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda Pilot, 2015 F150, and 2020 Honda Pilot. With two of them encroaching 200k and no intentions of getting rid of any, I find it very important to keep track of what has been done. I’ve been very happy with the Hondas, but I need to stay on top of the maintenance if we want to see 300k out of them. Just a simple spreadsheet with dates, mileage, location of repairs (shop or home) and descriptions of the jobs. I was also able to track all maintenance records of all cars back since new. If I ever do sell one I’m sure the buyer will appreciate the records. My wife laughs at me, but it’s a lot to keep track of. I do not do this with my bikes though.
Thanks. At one time I had 4 kids on the road along with mine and hers and my truck, no wonder I can't remember anything now. Totally burnt. LOL!

Yeah, the front brakes on both of my 1980 Specials worked great, even after sitting from previous owners for well over a decade. I should say they worked great until I flushed them as a preventative measure. :doh:

The change of fluid led to clogged lines, etc...which led to complete rebuild top and bottom of the whole system on both bikes. Oh well, better for peace of mind.

Incidentally, the rear more finicky hydraulic brake systems didnt work on either bike when I got them...total refurbishes on both, including lines. This is what led me down the slippery slope to front flushes. :laugh:

Back