What have you done to your XS today?

It looks like I didn't have the circlip and thrust washer that holds 1st gear in the groove of the countershaft and 1st gear worked it's way over to the left to hit against the face of the input shaft bearing.
I also found the inner bush of 1st gear was not flush and was protruding out one side just like the one in twomany's old post .
When assembled correctly on the countershaft 1st gear has 0.022mm end play, 2nd gear has 0.035 end play and the input shaft has 0.065 end play.
I have Geoff's xs looking for replacement pinion gear and thrust washers to get it going again.View attachment 263861View attachment 263862View attachment 263861View attachment 263862
I recently got a replacement transmission ( both complete shafts minus shift forks and drum) from Geoff's xs that came out of long sitting wreck that had low mileage and it looked brand new complete with new seal and drive sprocket.
Fitted new bearings and reassembled cases and installed the starter motor then put the motor back in the frame using the overhead beam and a lever block, remembering to fit the unbroken drive chain before installing the engine mount bolts then fitted the carbs, pipes, tri spark ignition and footrests etc.
Took it for a ride and getting all gears easily with no slop and no more jumping out of gear which is great. Never realized how much play/ slop was in the old gearbox, it will take some getting used to now it's almost like it's running without oil in there, nice and firm. IMG20240327152223.jpg

Replaced my 12 series progressive shock dampeners with new ones purchased from Michael Morse at 650central.com. One of the old ones started to leak oil. If anyone wants the one that is not leaking let me know. It is a 13.5”, free to a good home but you pay shipping

Attachments

• IMG_5454.jpeg
    IMG_5454.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 22
Any piccies of your graft?
Well, since you asked. A bit more cleaning this morning. Object of the exercise, get the stuff looking presentable whilst maintaining the patina that took 47 years to develop. This bike isn't a show queen but will be a very nice survivor. Back wheel looking good, probably not quite as good as it looks in the pictures. The greasy muck means the spokes are well preserved, zero rusty spokes. The factory lacquer is still there on alloy parts, but not surprisingly is worn through to the alloy in places. Looks fine to me. New tyres next week.

The chain guard. Well , 47 years of greasy muck and the thing wasn't going rusty. Look on the bright side. A patch of stone damage on the top that I'll probably not bother doing anything with as it's not rusting. It's cleaned up well and I've treated it to a new rubber mount. No expense spared on this job

1000001662.jpg

1000001661.jpg

1000001657.jpg

1000001658.jpg

1000001659.jpg

1000001660.jpg

:laugh:

Last edited:
Did get out for a shakedown ride though ! No leaks from the bodged seal install, but keeping close to home

Good coffee at the Depp. Down the road :)

Definitely need to take the heavier oil outta the forks for something lighter ….

Attachments

• 73419779659__436668D2-4FC6-42B9-B3DB-17F8835C2A33.jpeg
    73419779659__436668D2-4FC6-42B9-B3DB-17F8835C2A33.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 30
View attachment 322789
Finished the install of the new seat cover. Turned out alright (thanks to Mailman for the great tutorial thread).

View attachment 322790

Also received the Standard headlight brackets from eBay. Just need to treat some rust on the insides then I can pull the forks and install.

Seat looks like brand new! Great job! 😃

20240407_164832.jpg
First Tankful For Latest Rejuvenation
A nice gent sold me this a few weeks ago, it was his daily till 2011, then stached away.
Came from same seller as MaxPete's Big Sue.
Needed tires and front brakes, plus a few items (seat, chain, carbs, bar switches) that I had in stock and all good.
I intend to clean up the carbs (76 - 77 BS38's) it came with and install them to see how different they are from the 78 - 79 set I put on for now.
Hi Test gas was $1.81 per litre, $20.00 won't fill them any more.

Did the 20 mile loop and touched an indicated 102...probably close to 95, the road was kinna narrow and it was hard to see...in the cop free zone. Looks like virga in the offing with big dunderousnessclouds. Still on the welding job... splicing .045 wall tube and trying to keep it straight... Bitchen Spring day...80 F just now, and nifty storm brewing...

Did get out for a shakedown ride though ! No leaks from the bodged seal install, but keeping close to home

Good coffee at the Depp. Down the road :)

Definitely need to take the heavier oil outta the forks for something lighter ….
A great looking bike. How did you go about attaching your number plates?

A great looking bike. How did you go about attaching your number plates?
Oh!
I made a bracket that fits up to a model A Ford tail lamp, and bent it to match the fender curve.
I started with a sheet of steel that was wide enough for the plate, drew it on the flat and plasma cut it out, then de-burred, bent and painted.
It’s sitting on a small rectangular rubber spacer to soak up the vibes so the bulbs will ( hopefully ) last the season !

Seriously bad wet, cold weather here so not much activity this morning. But some good news.

After some cleaning at the back end of the bike, with the rear shocks removed (old, EMGO perhaps?) the swing arm has no free play at all but moves under it's weight. Purged the old grease out from both ends and I'll call the swing arm good to go. More cleaning required but mechanically sound.

Second bit of success is that I have some <300 mile Hagon rear shocks. I hoped they would fit the Yamaha. And they do. They're maybe 2cm longer than the ones I took off. The top shock eye is perfect, the bottom shock eye just needs a small steel bush making out of 1/2" OD tube I have. Happy days :)

1000001667.jpg

1000001668.jpg

Back