What have you done to your XS today?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452007466.215399.jpg

Different headlight....thoughts?

View attachment 60270

Different headlight....thoughts?

My ol' rectangular headlight is similar. Has a dual filament hi/lo beam. The bulb's bayonet base fitting is a cylinder that's press fitted into the reflector. I can adjust beam spot size by how far it's pressed in. If yours is the same, may be able to rotate this fitting 90° to get hi/lo. The low beam filament will be at the upper position (high beam filament at lower position) since the image is mirrored...

Two many, I'd like to see some pics if you have any. I need to update the guts in that thing to make it up to date with hi/low.

Gary, the rim I bought off atoxs in the classifieds awhile back, think it's just an old dirt bike rim, spokes came from mikes. The rotor is from mikes and the caliper came from Dan at Pandemonium along with his bracket kit. It took some extra filing to the back side of the caliper because of the steeper spokes, but I've gotten everything in a nice sweet spot. Spokes clear caliper, rotor sits nicely the caliper. That rotor spacer was the real key to making the rotor fit...

Brought the partially dismantled "orphan" engine in from the garage today, (finally getting some Ontario winter cold weather) down into the basement and mounted it up on the stand so I can repair the oil gland nut thread, clean it up some and get it back together for the 76.

Attachments

• SAM_2313.JPG
    SAM_2313.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 165
It's not today but this past Sunday(01/03). It was a nice clear day and warming up to almost 70F. After breakfast at Carl's jr with the guys it was time for a long ride. Made my way from Broadway and Pantano to Oracle rd heading north. It turns into State Road 77. I turn on SR 79 AKA Pinal Pioneer Parkway. Head off to the Tom Mix Memorial roadside table. Its about 22-25 miles away from the turnoff. It's nice quiet, fairly empty ,fast (65mph) two lane road. Sometimes other cycle riders are there or car or RV travelers to maybe swap tales of travel with. Well it's 3 pm and temp and sun are dropping. Time to crank the SG up and point the 19 incher home that's about 56 miles away. Another great ride done.

Two many, I'd like to see some pics if you have any. I need to update the guts in that thing to make it up to date with hi/low...

Sure, figure8. You should be able to see here how the bayonet socket is press fitted into the reflector.

I made sure to stock up with a box of ten of the dual-filament bulbs, since they're not found everywhere. I'd have a couple of them wrap-padded in the tool pack while on cross countrys...

Attachments

• Rect70sHeadlight.jpg
    Rect70sHeadlight.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 173
Sure, figure8. You should be able to see here how the bayonet socket is press fitted into the reflector.

I made sure to stock up with a box of ten of the dual-filament bulbs, since they're not found everywhere. I'd have a couple of them wrap-padded in the tool pack while on cross countrys...

Thanks two many, I've got some work to do!

Wow. Carls jr for breakfast. What a grease pit, but damn its good grease!
Dismantled my entire front end on my 71, installed the tapered bearing kit , and took apart the forks. Going to rebiuld those, and button it up with new brake shoes. I hope its decent enuf for a shake down saturday

Springer on the way and cases, jugs, and head getting cleaned this weekend. LCFabrication has my frame and should be starting on it soon.

Not xs650 related but I'm also closing on my first house on Friday morning. So I've got a lot going on haha.

Springer on the way and cases, jugs, and head getting cleaned this weekend. LCFabrication has my frame and should be starting on it soon.

Not xs650 related but I'm also closing on my first house on Friday morning. So I've got a lot going on haha.

Found what little difference of effort is between getting a ring off in one piece and two.

Back