What have you done to your XS today?

Sprayed every rusty thing i could find and spent 6hrs on the deck making room for her. Took tomorrow off to finish it off and get her under cover.
this sh**s finally gonna happen! i feel 40 yrs younger with the missuses blessing. think maybe she saw the life insurance policy and said "sure go ahead" send er!

Speaking of burning, I reduced the preload on the back shocks and lowered the tyre pressure by 3psi as indicated by the ten percent rule I found on here.
This was in a desperate attempt to have the rear wheel more or less follow the front around corners and stay in the saddle more of the time.
Now I usually ride a test drive, after a fiddle, in an open face helmet, not something I recommend just something I do.
I was glad I did as at around 35mph the bike started whispering an unusual noise to me, I stopped and inspected, couldn't see or feel anything loose.
Ran a couple of miles and began to smell hot tyre so I stopped again, this time I had a polished warm ring on the chain side sidewall.
On the road I put the bike on the centre stand, broke a handy stick and let the tyre take the pointed end behind the chainguard, until I had clearance after removing it, back home I used a luggage strap over the chainguard and back under the rear fork, see picture, which gave me clearance I can live with.
I'm sure somebody has actually measured the clearance you get with the factory tyre on the SE, but in the meantime I'm going with damned little.
I'm going to keep my eye on this for a while !

Attachments

• rub.jpg
    rub.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 52
  • rubtm.jpg
    rubtm.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 54
  • chainguardstrap.jpg
    chainguardstrap.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 48
Speaking of burning, I reduced the preload on the back shocks and lowered the tyre pressure by 3psi as indicated by the ten percent rule I found on here.
This was in a desperate attempt to have the rear wheel more or less follow the front around corners and stay in the saddle more of the time.
Now I usually ride a test drive, after a fiddle, in an open face helmet, not something I recommend just something I do.
I was glad I did as at around 35mph the bike started whispering an unusual noise to me, I stopped and inspected, couldn't see or feel anything loose.
Ran a couple of miles and began to smell hot tyre so I stopped again, this time I had a polished warm ring on the chain side sidewall.
On the road I put the bike on the centre stand, broke a handy stick and let the tyre take the pointed end behind the chainguard, until I had clearance after removing it, back home I used a luggage strap over the chainguard and back under the rear fork, see picture, which gave me clearance I can live with.
I'm sure somebody has actually measured the clearance you get with the factory tyre on the SE, but in the meantime I'm going with damned little.
I'm going to keep my eye on this for a while !
Chainguard can get bent OR wheel can get crooked unless you keep the axle adjusters set the same on both sides.

Last edited:
HUGE upgrade getting rid of those banana bars. Now for that seat - any suggestions?

Extra pick of the stable as it sits, with another rando on the way Saturday....
Hard to believe there is still a triple out there that still runs. Mine was the only bike that I ever bought new and blew a hole in the cases the day after I made the first payment. Second gear went out in August of that year and the following summer a girl in daddy's car turned left right in front of me as we were meeting . Totalled it and almost me too. I got a prosthestic right leg from that meeting.

Hard to believe there is still a triple out there that still runs. Mine was the only bike that I ever bought new and blew a hole in the cases the day after I made the first payment. Second gear went out in August of that year and the following summer a girl in daddy's car turned left right in front of me as we were meeting . Totalled it and almost me too. I got a prosthestic right leg from that meeting.
Bummer about the leg old man. I had a millwright pal who had a tripple when I had an XS, I was envious. But now that I hear the stories...I count myself lucky. I'd like to see the '78 Tracker. Best!

Cheers Jim
I went ahead and bought a pair of these from Yambits.co.uk
View attachment 245053
View attachment 245054
Should be here by the weekend; hopeful I get a ride.
Old ones into the spares pile.

I tried curzinimage, but they wouldn't accept my payment for some reason.
Anyhow Yambits should be faster.
Ads.

The two new slide / diaphragm arrived today from Yambits.co.uk. Had to swap the needles from the old to the new ones.
Quality seems to be as good as the ones that came out. Diaphragm of new one is much more pliable.
Unlike us older males, it seems hardness is due to age!
All simple stuff to do really. Bench checked the carb sync settings and mix screws.
IMG_0223.JPEG
IMG_0224.JPEG

Refitted carbs to the bike and fired up first go. Warmed the old girl up and knocked off choke.
Idle still good. Rev up through the ranges and slides are rising and falling as intended.
All the above done on the paddock stands. Test ride tomorrow.
Ads.:devil:
ACBUILD

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPEG
    IMG_0224.JPEG
    139.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Chainguard can get bent OR wheel can get crooked unless you keep the axle adjusters set the same on both sides.
Both true, but unless you have run an SE the idea that the wheel would turn if crooked is understandable and wrong. The factory tyre (or tire) gives a clearance of less than you'd think.
Even after my efforts at easing the chain guard the White Correction fluid has still disappeared, looks like the answer might be about 530-104.

Both true, but unless you have run an SE the idea that the wheel would turn if crooked is understandable and wrong. The factory tyre (or tire) gives a clearance of less than you'd think.
Even after my efforts at easing the chain guard the White Correction fluid has still disappeared, looks like the answer might be about 530-104.
If you'd like some help or advice a pic looking forward along the chain might help.
My bag of tricks is deep and mysterious.
In similar situations I've removed some of that tire outer corner < with a belt sander. ;^)
I've ground off and rewelded swing arm seams to pick up clearance.
Even machined sprockets to gain a bit of room..
sprocket machined.jpg
twisted swing arms / frames can happen, at 50 years on we've all got some hidden history?

True word
Thanks for that, all needs to be looked at , immediate need is for chain and sprockets, parts cannon time, but there is enough side play to make me think fork truck chain, it didn't at first but some of the rust has gone. No movement sideways at all in the rear fork/swinging arm that I can detect.
Since my ambition is to put together the hardtail and the Black and gold SE I am going to count rear wheel teeth first.
When I was young and foolish I had a pair , one geared for street and one for highway.
Now I am old I am not looking for otw just comfortable progress without too much baggage, no rear footrests anymore.
So standard 17 34 is 2.00 final and 1.89 for 18 front, 1.83 for 18 33 and 1.78 for 18 32 so who's done that guys and did it still pull away in second?
Oh, and did it eat the alternator wiring?
Chain will be O-ring 530-104 probably DID unless someone reckons "same but cheaper" let me know.

Last edited:
I wasn't being sarcastic earlier....
Funny things is the last image is the latest, must've been hiding.
Still want to know about gearing experiences please.

chainside.jpg
brakeside.jpg
redtippex.jpg

View attachment 245300View attachment 245301View attachment 245302
Your rear tire

Your tear tire properly seated all aroumd te rim?

Back