What's everyone's thoughts on powdercoating the mag wheels?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
As I'm learning the in's and out's of the XS650 world by slowly tearing into my bike, there are also certain things that I'm just trying to take care of quickly while "bringing the bike into this decade" so I can actually ride it and get to know it while I work on it.

For example ... instead of learning to rebuild the master cylinder, I just put it in a box for a day when I have time, and bought a replacement for the time being.

Another thing is ..... tires! The bike has 10K miles on it. I have no idea how old these tires are. They could be from the 90's. They could be from the the 80's I guess!

While they are off I want to address the wheels. I think one color - gloss black would look fantastic on these and really blend the size difference between the front and rear nicely.

I'm considering either having them blasted and painted, or leaving them with a powdercoater. It seems anytime you mention powdercoating, you get a handful of people who chime in with the dangers involved in raising the temps of the wheels.... what has everyone on here done with their mags?

I considered sanding and rattlecanning them also, but it seems like a high-abuse item being closest to the ground and all, so I wanted it to be as solid as possible.

I imagine wheel bearings should be pulled for powdercoating, but has anyone left them in for paint?

Posted via Mobile

wheel temperature? Never EVER seen a topic on that. Powder coat them, put on new tires, balance and call it a day. Don't powder coat your engine. If you must color it use high temp paint. If powder chips or cracks you can't touch it up unlike the high temp paints which can be touched up. good luck

here's my powdered mags. Blasted and painted for 60 bucks.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 198
Did you guys replace your wheel bearings as you did this?

I have no idea if they are original, which means they probably are. Bike has 10K miles on it but is 37 years old.....

Do I need to find an industrial press to get these in/out?

I think I replaced mine just for peace of mind. A cleaning and a good packing of grease should be fine. Removed mine with a wood handle and a hammer from the inside. Very easy

Hi pete,
your new front master cylinder should have an 11mm diameter piston in it.
Although the stock m/c piston is just about perfect to run dual disks it's too effin' big to run just one which is why your front brake feels like wood.
And if the tires date code says more than 5 or 6 years old, toss 'em.
What shape are the wheels in?
I like the stock semi-matte black paint with polished edges finish myself.
If they are too beat up to leave "as is" it's your decision to spraypaint and decide whether or not to polish and mask the edges or go with solid black powdercoat.

My vote is powder them with new bearings and seals. Get a durable powder and if you go with any metallics make sure you get a coat of clear powder on top.

Just got my wheels back today!
9e073fa0938f6572e2a89a3f5aaceb9a.jpg

I think they were 30 or 35 a wheel. What a visual improvement tho!

You need a blind bearing puller to get them out. You can get one at HF for around $75. Or rent from local auto parts store. Or use an expanding concrete anchor. I'm sure you can find more information on it. It costs $1.50 instead, just try not to damage the wheels.

grantkc: Did the place that coated your wheels blast them also? Or did you have that done elsewhere? $35 a wheel seems cheap.

The wheels are in good condition, just "tired" from being out there for almost 37 years. Plus I'm not really a fan of 2-colored wheels. I like solid colors - either gunmetal or gloss-black.

Bearings seem cheap enough that the peace of mind would be worth it to have them replaced. I'll see if I can borrow a bearing puller from someone. It sounds like putting them back in can be done without special tools. Perhaps a rubber mallet and a big socket?

Posted via Mobile

Just a retired dude in his garage. That's just powder coating. I half ass sandblasted them myself before taking them over. He had to touch them up, but didn't charge me for it. I offered to pay for it, cool dude. I can't imagine getting them blasted would be that much more expensive, maybe $50 total to blast & coat?

with any form of painting/coating its all in the prep. Not getting them blasted isn't an option and if your powder coat guy will do it with out blasting find a new guy. you can smack the bearins out but jus be carefull and go around the edges. If your replaceing them who cares if they get beat up. I used a socket to install mine

Yeah and you should powder coat almost immediately after sandblasting. I waited a couple weeks which causes surface rust ( not on alum wheels) oil from fingers etc.

I'm going to take my bearings to be installed at the local wheel shop.

- - - Bearings seem cheap enough that the peace of mind would be worth it to have them replaced. I'll see if I can borrow a bearing puller from someone. It sounds like putting them back in can be done without special tools. Perhaps a rubber mallet and a big socket? - - -

Hi Pete,
for all that they seem real sturdy, bearings are effin' delicate.
Take care to press a ball race into a housing by it's outer race
and onto a shaft by it's inner race because transmitting the
installation force through the bearing balls may cause damage.
Especially if you are tapping at it with a hammer and drift
rather than steadily forcing it with a press.

Well, good news. Was finally able to get everything apart, cut the tires off, get the bearings out etc.

Dropped the wheels off at the powdercoating place yesterday. Look forward to seeing how they come out!

I purchased a set of mags for my 1977 and will get them powdercoated. But before I do I will drill the spoke areas. Got a template off of one of the forum threads.

Just make sure your powder coater masks off ALL the bearing, brake, bolt, surfaces and holes. I got powder coated hubs with a project and sprocket and disk surfaces hadn't been masked off, what a pain!

Just make sure your powder coater masks off ALL the bearing, brake, bolt, surfaces and holes. I got powder coated hubs with a project and sprocket and disk surfaces hadn't been masked off, what a pain!

That's a good point Gary. I'll have to give them a call today - hopefully they are either not done, or done right.

What did you have to do to clean them up? Brass brush on a dremel? Sandpaper?

Couldn't get a hold of them. It's very much a "dude works all day and checks messages at night" kind of establishment. We'll see. There were several other motorcycle wheels there when I was dropping off, so here's to hoping they'll mask it off.

Back