Wheels

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am looking the best, most cost efficient option to have a nice set of wheels for my build. Right now I have a 19" front spoke (disk) and 18" spoke rear (drum). Both in decent shape for coming off a 77 model, but neither show quality by any means. I have two options I would consider with how I would want the rims to turn out. Either back to factory original quality or to have black rims with metal spokes.

I priced powder coating the wheels today and the shop I contacted said $100 a wheel to be cleaned and powder coated black. Combine this with $70+ for new spokes and we are looking upwards of $200 a wheel. That is pretty much in line with what it would cost for a new spoked wheel, right?

What is the benefit of cleaning up old wheels if there is no savings or advantage involved? Am I missing something?:shrug:

What I am starting with:yikes:

Attachments

• Bike Project 026.jpg
    Bike Project 026.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Bike Project 030.jpg
    Bike Project 030.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Bike Project 032.jpg
    Bike Project 032.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Bike Project 034.jpg
    Bike Project 034.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 118
Those don't look like '77 wheels, more like '73 wheels. '77 wheels had the flanged alloy rims, not chrome steel, and the later type disc. You have the old style disc there. It was used up to '76 but I think '73 was the last year of the chrome rim.

I prefer the alloy rims. They can be cleaned and polished so the wheel can be renovated basically for just the cost of new spokes ....

33TSprocket.jpg

Those are beautiful rims. What would the cost be to purrchase them in comparison to the option of cleaning, powder coating, and re spoking that Im faced with now?

What I think of when I think about having them cleaned, powder coated, and re spoked is pics I saw of inmotionphotog's build. Beautiful!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• inmotionphotog wheel 2.jpg
    inmotionphotog wheel 2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 130
Back