Will Early Grab Rail adapt to Later seat?

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I like the style of the early grab rail (eg Mike's #68-6800), and would like to adapt it my later, 1976c stock seat. There are no fasteners/fittings under the seat, of course, but fabricating some fasteners seems to be pretty simple. However, I'm wondering if anyone has done this. Some variables include the question of whether the early and later (76) seat are about the same shape in back, and whether or not the depth and shape of the seat bottom pan is about the same for both seats?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a viable project. The early seats have a pair of U-shaped standoffs welded to the seat bottom, they clear just behind the frame's rear loop. You can kinda see it in this pic:

full

While avoiding doing anything useful, I shot some pics of a grab bar and a 75 ish seat together.

seatgrab bar 002.JPG seatgrab bar 003.JPG seatgrab bar 004.JPG

OMHO the short answer is no it doesn't fit, the ass end of the later seats is wider and thicker. Maybe if the foam was cut down with a custom cover.... But the wider pan creates clearance problems. and makes the bar too low to be useful. I did not check clearance to the fender with the seat on the bike.

I was bit hasty that bar really sits behind the seat, It could be done, some shots showing both an early setup and a bar on a later std seat.

Early bar and seat

seat bar 005.JPG seat bar 008.JPG

early bar just stuck under a 75-77 seat sitting on a 78 standard frame

seat bar 001.JPG seat bar 002.JPG

seat bar 003.JPG

seat bar 006.JPG seat bar 007.JPG

Yup, the seat being too wide and thick answers my key questions.
Darn.
Thanks very much, Gary !!

...back to the drawing board.....maybe a vintage Triumph grab bar might fit........hmmmmm....

Ha! I posted too quickly...just saw your second reply with pics.
It wouldn't rise far above the seat, but might be usable.
I'll give this application some more consideration, Gary. TY

yeah you could even make brackets from the turn signal mounts to hold it instead of to the seat pan.

Intersting idea, Gary. And it might be less complicated a fabrication job than putting it under the seat.
A larger hoop would be more attractive and functional, however. I'm going to remove the grab bar from my 1969 Bonneville this weekend to see how that one lines up.

Attachments

• TRiumph copy.cropgrab.jpg
    TRiumph copy.cropgrab.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 206
I'm beginning to regret having sold the sissy bar that came with the bike ! :laugh:

Attachments

• yamaha650 666.JPG
    yamaha650 666.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 208
Back