WTH is with these engine rebuilders?

flyboy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on a RELIABLE engine rebuilder? I was in contact with this guy (not going to mention his name) who expressed interest in rebuilding my engine and was willing to work with me on price...then disappeared. I'm sure some of you probably know who I'm talking about. Our last conversation was that I was going to send him some pix of the engine (which I did as promised)and he was to respond about my issues...so far NOTHING!

My biggest pet peeve is...DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING AND NOT DO IT! My word is my bond. Where is the integrity here? Okay, I've vented now and feel better...back on my meds now. Please advise.
flyboy

If you want a reliable engine builder, do it your self. That way you know just what you have, and just how well it was done.

And these are soooo simple to work on. I had a hone, and valve stem seals done for me cause i don't have the tools (and it was 60 dollars) and i just put it all back together with new rings, Guides, and a camchain.

If you want a reliable engine builder, do it your self. That way you know just what you have, and just how well it was done.
XSLEO-
Yes, I know what you mean and you are right but I wouldn't be able to blame the other guy LOL!
Seriously though, I don't have the tools and the know-how to take it down myself plus I'm more interested in the design aspect than the engine components.
Thanks,
flyboy

CDN-
You're right on the simple part but again, the design is my quest.
Thanks,
flyboy

flyboy, please don't take this the wrong way, but if the design aspects you're interested in are more than cosmetic, you'd be well advised to gear up and learn meat-and-potatoes mechanics as the first stage of your quest. The owner of one of the independent bikes shops here has a lot of contacts in Indiana; I'll try to get you some referrals in the Indianapolis area.

seriously, engine work is a great way to get a "feel" for component design. not to mention, how to make things elegant. nothing heavier than it needs to be, everything balanced... engines are beautiful things and can teach you a lot....

anyways... while mechanics may not interest you, it's worthwhile familiarising yourself with them.... these are simple bikes, but well made, and will make you more aware of how to put things together in clever ways...

Okay, I'm coming around to the efforts made by all on the engine and DO agree with all you guys that think I should get into the engine dianamics too. The thought of being stranded without knowledge of the machine leaves me cold too. Been there, done that.

Is there a good book out there that explains the tear down that I can familiarize myself with the engine before the attempt? I have the Clymer already and have thumbed through but a book with tips etc would be nice to read first.

Reminds me of the time when I was 13 and took apart the lawnmower and had to take it to the repair place to reassemble it. LOL I've learned a lot since then and have turned wrenches on many...even built my own airplane and flew it for 7 years without a hitch.

GRIZ-
I'll take you up on that offer to find someone local.
Thanks you guys for keeping me focused.
flyboy

I am also pretty handy with any body work, but completely lost on motor work. It is definitely something i am interested in getting to know. That said, as asked earlier in this post, is there any literature anyone recommends? or is tearing apart an engine something best learned through trial and error?

you can send it to me if ya like. I'm a mercedes-benz master technican. there is a local machine shop that does some of our engine work. I do all the assembly/disassembly, machine shop does the machine work.

Back