XS650 Craigslist postings depository

2 people owned it and no body drove it
Seems a little good to be true
At least the first owner would have road the hell out of it otherwise why buy it :shrug:

I looked at it for Vincentfan...here's what I sent him...in July. He was asking $5995 than.

Well, I saw it today...thoughts: both mufflers are bad, the right one is a 0.
Chain is shot
__Lots of rust on the frame, swingarm (+ acid drip also)
__headers look good with not much bluing--Stock tho.
__I pointed out the rubbing on the rear frame from seat...
__Started right up (I asked him for a cold start last nite)
---idled good and the motor sounded tight. I told him that the cam chain is adjusted too tight. No valve clicks either.
__ All lights work, clutch is hard to pull (needs cable lube prolly)
__Tank is very shiny...sent a pic of the inside...not good. don't know what the white is where the cap fits to it...looks like filler.
__Tire were made 287-1 (Feb. 1987?) Cheng Shins..correct size.
__engine covers are in need of help...no cracks or scratch's.
__air filters seem dirty, very dry.
__ the side stand doesn't look like the correct one for the 75 one off.
__center stand hits the left muffler.
All in all this seems like a good candidate for a complete restoration if you can find mufflers.
We talked about the mileage and agreed it "probably" turned back. I told him how to find out if he wanted to. It came with an extra right muffler the the PO cut the end off...then decided it was way toooooo loud! It also came a 2 into one setup. The original seller inherited it from his dad.
He said he turned down $5000 for it. Before I left, I wanted to tell him to call that guy up and take the $5, but thought better about it and didn't. I told him why I was there to look at it.

1703353183523.png

After seeing what these '75s are bringing now. I'll change my quote to $3500.
I should add that he's a car salesman who also has lots of nice m/c's for sale. Nice guy.

Last edited:
I looked at it for Vincentfan...here's what I sent him...in July. He was asking $5995 than.

Well, I saw it today...thoughts: both mufflers are bad, the right one is a 0.
Chain is shot
__Lots of rust on the frame, swingarm (+ acid drip also)
__headers look good with not much bluing--Stock tho.
__I pointed out the rubbing on the rear frame from seat...
__Started right up (I asked him for a cold start last nite)
---idled good and the motor sounded tight. I told him that the cam chain is adjusted too tight. No valve clicks either.
__ All lights work, clutch is hard to pull (needs cable lube prolly)
__Tank is very shiny...sent a pic of the inside...not good. don't know what the white is where the cap fits to it...looks like filler.
__Tire were made 287-1 (Feb. 1987?) Cheng Shins..correct size.
__engine covers are in need of help...no cracks or scratch's.
__air filters seem dirty, very dry.
__ the side stand doesn't look like the correct one for the 75 one off.
__center stand hits the left muffler.
All in all this seems like a good candidate for a complete restoration if you can find mufflers.
We talked about the mileage and agreed it "probably" turned back. I told him how to find out if he wanted to. It came with an extra right muffler the the PO cut the end off...then decided it was way toooooo loud! It also came a 2 into one setup. The original seller inherited it from his dad.
He said he turned down $5000 for it. Before I left, I wanted to tell him to call that guy up and take the $5, but thought better about it and didn't. I told him why I was there to look at it.

View attachment 258130
After seeing what these '75s are bringing now. I'll change my quote to $3500.
I should add that he's a car salesman who also has lots of nice m/c's for sale. Nice guy.
Yes,I recall this now. I thought abit pricey then and still do but his bike,his pricing.👍

I can believe the paint may be original, but most else must have been polished and chromed - you can refurb an odometer and make it look like new :). Nevertheless a nice ‘75 XS

Back