YZ swingarm on an XS??

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
any know anything about this?
I've heard that some YZ swingarms are a direct bolt in.
I remember seeing a bike with a yz swingarm but cant remember where i saw it.
Does anyone have any info on this?

It's not, that post was incorrect. I am currently doing that swap to ruN a mono shock. You have to make a custom length pivot bolt, drill out the XS pivot bolt hole to 17mm and make new axel adapters. Far from bolt on.
Axel diameters are different. Pivot bolt diameters are different. The YZ pivot bolt that you have to use is way too short so a custom one has to be made, the YZ arm will need custom length spacers to fit the XS frame and I'm sure the list will get bigger as I go, but those are the problems I have run across thus far.
It will however give you 4 more inches of wheel base, and the ability to run a mono shock. That was the driving force for doing the swap.

Cool. I'm already running a yz450 rear hub, so the axle diameter thing is no big deal. I suppose I could get the local machine shop to spin me up a pivot shaft, that shouldn't be too expensive.

Do you know that if you go to a 90-98 YZ swinger the axle diameter is 20mm, same as XS? That may make things a little easier for ya.

Are you running into any issues with the linkage?

No linkage issues yet, but I have a factory spring for that swing arm that has a new heavier coil and has been revalved more for street use. There will have to be an additional crossmember mounted to the frame for the mono shock linkage. The swing arm I am using is from a 99-01. Also, you will have to drill out your pivot bolt mounting holes in the frame to match the YZ. The XS is 16mm and the YZ is 17mm.

Yeah, I know about the xs pivot inner dia. needing to be bored out.

You ever think about going direc and eliminating the linkage? Maybe using a different shock?

Back