1979 Ground Pounder Bobber Builid

Really like the looks and style of your build.

These XS platforms are really interesting with the variety of ways a builder can go. I built a couple of old Harley's in the mid 80's in the bobber style, (though odd that I never heard the term 'bobber' back then! lol). I think once I get set up for another project it will be an XS platform build similar to this one.

Like others have said I find the leaf spring for your seat very interesting. You said it's from a trailer and only one leaf is really functioning. Can you take some closer pics of the install and how you mounted it to the frame? Also the way it moves on two forward mounting bolts. Maybe some pics of that part too?

What kind of brakes did you use? Is it a disc conversion kit for this bike or hard tail or something? Looks very clean. I guess both operate from the foot brake pedal? Interesting way to avoid a front master cylinder. Must react similar to anti-lock braking if the proportioning valve diverts properly. Again interesting...

The amber head lamp looks totally cool with the paint scheme. How does it work? Is it bright enough to see well? LED or incandescent?

Great build!

Very nice build, I like the style that you went for as well. What are the specs on the hard tail? I know you said it is an Elswick but what is the stretch and dorp that you went with.

Really like the looks and style of your build.

These XS platforms are really interesting with the variety of ways a builder can go. I built a couple of old Harley's in the mid 80's in the bobber style, (though odd that I never heard the term 'bobber' back then! lol). I think once I get set up for another project it will be an XS platform build similar to this one.

Like others have said I find the leaf spring for your seat very interesting. You said it's from a trailer and only one leaf is really functioning. Can you take some closer pics of the install and how you mounted it to the frame? Also the way it moves on two forward mounting bolts. Maybe some pics of that part too?

What kind of brakes did you use? Is it a disc conversion kit for this bike or hard tail or something? Looks very clean. I guess both operate from the foot brake pedal? Interesting way to avoid a front master cylinder. Must react similar to anti-lock braking if the proportioning valve diverts properly. Again interesting...

The amber head lamp looks totally cool with the paint scheme. How does it work? Is it bright enough to see well? LED or incandescent?

Great build!

thank you! here are some pictures of the leaf spring and how i made it work. the brakes are all stock except the master cylinder, the linkage and the valve.

the light is not very bright but i dont ride it at night, lol. i used a candy yellow paint over it then added a couple drops of black into the clear coat and did some thin coats until i got the effect i wanted.

-AC6A-456E-B8A9-4519D83DA6C8-2952-0000042D3DA24D2F.jpg

-F62D-4081-8311-C262551AC1DC-2952-0000042D169C9493.jpg

A-8E02-4EAB-81A0-B1215C79B479-221-000001501D229163.jpg

lol good idea! and a good job to boot. How comfortable will the seat be? Comparable to what?

Thanks for the pics and details! I wonder about the durability. I'm not a metal working type, but it seems that lots of stress would be on that weld. Might need some gussets for strength. Still a very interesting design! I'm wondering if the weld durability does become an issue if one could flip the spring over and somehow weld it to the frame? It would have to follow the frame tube that the tank mounts to somehow I would think. Might reduce the stress and still provide enough spring. Not sure how it would look...

Please keep us up dated on how the mount holds up!

i have been thinking of making a universal style weld on leaf spring like mine. think anyone would buy it?

I think it's a very creative idea. A version that you could package ready to weld on would be popular and I'd think the cost would be easy to make work. I don't have a project bike at this time, but I like the concept. I'd be real interested if the price was right and the quality/durability were addressed. When I get things setup for a build project I'll certainly be thinking about using this design!

Thanks for the pics and details! I wonder about the durability. I'm not a metal working type, but it seems that lots of stress would be on that weld. Might need some gussets for strength. Still a very interesting design! I'm wondering if the weld durability does become an issue if one could flip the spring over and somehow weld it to the frame? It would have to follow the frame tube that the tank mounts to somehow I would think. Might reduce the stress and still provide enough spring. Not sure how it would look...

Please keep us up dated on how the mount holds up!

I think it's a very creative idea. A version that you could package ready to weld on would be popular and I'd think the cost would be easy to make work. I don't have a project bike at this time, but I like the concept. I'd be real interested if the price was right and the quality/durability were addressed. When I get things setup for a build project I'll certainly be thinking about using this design!

If your worried about the weld on the spring, I was going to run this same setup before I decided to flip the leaf over. The only difference was instead of welding the spring to the frame, I cut 2 1/4" plates to sandwich the spring and drilled 2 holes through them to secure the leaf. That way, you have two points of stress and you can get good penetration since you can weld on top and bottom of the plate. Not only that, but you eliminate any possible problems from heating up and welding directly onto spring steel.

Back