1979 Ground Pounder Bobber Builid

I am seriously liking the tank color. Whole bike looks great.
Keep an eye on the copper brake lines (copper "work hardens" vibration = work, cracking follows) They outlawed copper fuel lines before your dad was a pup.

I am seriously liking the tank color. Whole bike looks great.
Keep an eye on the copper brake lines (copper "work hardens" vibration = work, cracking follows) They outlawed copper fuel lines before your dad was a pup.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and check tightness every once in a while

well the wiring on this bike is really kicking my ass and think i might actually have it under control now but we will find out tonight! still need some sort of battery that will fit in my little fake oil tank. any suggestions? im running stock everything, points, charging system, etc. kick only. i have searched on here but am just not finding anything that i trust and will fit. i has a small battery that fit but now it doesnt hold a charge, i think its just too old. i also popped a fuse when i tried charging it. any electircal or battery suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Fantastic job. Looking to pick something up in the UK. I know engine top end needs a rebuild, my mate is having a look at it this week as I am away in foreign lands.

Thanks guys, I will get more pics once I finally get all the kinks worked out, I had to make a whole new wiring harness but it works good now. Ordered new carb boots so now the tuning begins :/ never been good at it but practice makes perfect

Looks great. I was wondering if you could explain your seat bracket please? Im working on using a leaf spring as well and had it mounted once, however I wasn't getting any movement. I had the front of the seat mounted how you normally would and it was causing the spring to bind because the seat was trying to slide back along the arc of the spring. I was thinking of using a miniature shackle but it doesn't look like you have done that and I am wondering if I am missing something simple.

Looks great. I was wondering if you could explain your seat bracket please? Im working on using a leaf spring as well and had it mounted once, however I wasn't getting any movement. I had the front of the seat mounted how you normally would and it was causing the spring to bind because the seat was trying to slide back along the arc of the spring. I was thinking of using a miniature shackle but it doesn't look like you have done that and I am wondering if I am missing something simple.

The top leaf is from a trailer spring the middle one is basically hollow and the bottom one just covers up the hollow part of the middle one, it works great and is better than my old bobber with springs

The battery I'm using works good it's just a tiny one. I got the bike running pretty good but have a clutch issue now and am waiting on parts. The brake setup works incredible! I definatly didn't think it would work as good as it does lol. This bike has been kicking my add the past month with getting it running and driving good but it is soooooooo close :)

Sounds good dude, looking forward to the "Here she is" pictures.
Your thread has been a great inspiration.
Cheers
:thumbsup:

The Bike looks f'ing awesome, I'm up in Marinette and would love to come down & see it in person as well as meet you, I think we exchanged a few emails (through AD on craigslist) back in april or may about bad penny and me getting into the XS650's and me looking for some help, I have since decided to do most of the work myself and now have 3 bikes and 5 (almost complete) engines to rebuild LOL (MY NEW OBSESSION, I gave up Gambling). anyways, I love the look and would appreciate the opportunity to meet up.
Keep up the awesome work :thumbsup:
Dave

The Bike looks f'ing awesome, I'm up in Marinette and would love to come down & see it in person as well as meet you, I think we exchanged a few emails (through AD on craigslist) back in april or may about bad penny and me getting into the XS650's and me looking for some help, I have since decided to do most of the work myself and now have 3 bikes and 5 (almost complete) engines to rebuild LOL (MY NEW OBSESSION, I gave up Gambling). anyways, I love the look and would appreciate the opportunity to meet up.
Keep up the awesome work :thumbsup:
Dave

Any time man! I will actually be riding it to the Symco shakedown this weekend, google it and check out the pics if you've never heard of it, it is the coolest car and bike show period!
Give me a call or txt sometime 920 850 5262

The top leaf is from a trailer spring the middle one is basically hollow and the bottom one just covers up the hollow part of the middle one, it works great and is better than my old bobber with springs

I was actually wondering how you mounted the front of the seat to the bike and the rear to the leaf spring. Im trying to see what you did to allow the leaf to move instead of bind when it was compressed.

Back