1980 XS650 Tracker Project (UK)

Then for some new yokes and risers
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

That's the lot up to now, please feel free to give me your opinions on the build so far and any advice is welcomed... :D

Looking good. Still curious how you mounted the rear fender. Looks like you took a hiatus from the build before you got around to showing pics of that.
Also, is that a 16" front rim? What all did you have to do to make that conversion?

Looking good. Still curious how you mounted the rear fender. Looks like you took a hiatus from the build before you got around to showing pics of that.
Also, is that a 16" front rim? What all did you have to do to make that conversion?

Hey Willis,

Yeah i have just had a read through the thread from the beginning and i never got around to answering the fender question! If you have a close look through the pictures i have put on you can see on a couple of them that the fender is bolted from the rear through a bar i welded in, The bolts tighten in to some captive nuts which are fixed in the seat pan! I will get the bike out some time this week hopefully and get some better pictures to try and explain it a little better.

The front wheel is a 16" rim the same as the rear, I actually had a blank rim made in 16" then had all the spoke holes pressed out to the correct amount of spokes and laced it to a standard XS front hub! the tyres are 16x5.0 front and rear as i wanted it to look balanced. The 5" tyre does fit between the standard fork legs but its far to tight to be able to run it like that as any bump in the road would cause the tyre to bulge and would rub on the fork legs! that's why i had a new set of yokes made up to allow the extra clearance that it required.

Hope that helps :)

I’m also interested in the front wheel and tire fit as well as the rear fender set up.

Both,
Please see the answer above, Let me know if i can help in any way ;)

Thanks Matt. Are you using spacers between the hub and forks? Is the spindle custom

no worries Peter, the spindle in there at the moment is the standard one which is slightly to short to be honest so i have 2 choices... drill and tap the end and make a nice cap to screw in to it to cover the end and help hold it in place or turn out a new spindle all together, Ive not decided which option to go for as yet!
IMG_3371.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3373.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG

Very cool!
16" front is cool, very different than what you see most of the time!
If you have pics of how the fender is mounted, I'd love to see.

Thanks Pete, I wanted the bike to stand out among the crowd once its finished and I'm hoping its going to do that! I've still got a few plans which i hope will make it stand out further but time will tell as i move along with the build! I will definitely get some pictures of the rear fender some time this week as a few people are interested in this area of the bike.

Looks like you increased the space between the forks with the new trees by about 2 cm?

Its been that long since i did the yokes that i cant remember off the top of my head Peter, sorry. Looking at the pictures i would say that the spacers i made re about 10mm each side so you are probably about right.

Back