2018 Vintage Yamaha Rally

Just about ready.
DSCN3005.JPG DSCN3007.JPG

XS Friends,
The rally preparations are in full swing!!!

IMG_2197.jpg

One of the first arrivals is this '82 SECA 650.
42640675_1676522515809147_6507258628947312640_n.jpg

VYR_Prep_092618_SECA1.jpg

SECA's big brother XS11's are up at Rocky Top Lodge!!!!

Weather Report:
We've had a LITTLE light drizzle today and a LITTLE is expected for tomorrow.
PAY NO ATTENTION to the national weather forecasts for EASTERN North Carolina. The North Carolina coast is >500 MILES FROM Stecoah in WESTERN North Carolina!! There are NO road closures over here absolutely NO EFFECT from any of the weather problems FAR EAST OF HERE!!

Weather is expected to be great for the weekend here.

Lakeview and I are now ensconced in a hotel in the town of Alcoa TN just a few miles from the NC border. Our bikes are secure in Lakeview’s big Chevy van and we’ll be heading to Stecoah first thing in the morning.

As with many folks, I elected to come in the van rather than travel al fresco due to the very threatening weather almost the entire way down here. Despite the high humidity, winds and constant overcast skies, it only actually rained for a short time in northern Tennessee - but it sure was quite the downpour.

I really HAD wanted to ride - dammit.

NOTE: that bright shiny thing in the photo on Lucille’s tank is an anti-moisture system that I have added to help clear the way during our rides.

Pete

Well, Lakeview and I arrived at the Iron Horse MC Lodge in Stecoah NC and wow - WHAT a place! The roads around here are incredible. Lakeview’s big Chevy van did super on the Tail of Dragon and we had a couple of adventures during the run here from Alcoa TN this morning. We saw a very large black bear ambling along the road and after eying us, he toddled off into the dense woods. Then, a few miles further along, we pulled off the road to clear a fallen tree out of the driving lane. There were quite a number of broken pieces of tree trunk and limbs on the roadway - any of which could have taken out a rider.

If you’ve never been on the Tail.....I recommend it, but please ride safely as there are A LOT of tricky curves, wildlife and tree-debris around. There are very few pull-offs and the road has no real shoulders at all. Basically, 2-3 feet from the roadway is a 20-200 foot rocky drop-off from which you could not possibly recover without destroying your bike and likely suffering a serious injury.

Unfortunately, today, it is absolutely p!ssing down rain (with brief periods of some sun) so nobody is riding. :guns:There is a large collection of bikes here:
  • a few H-Ds including a nifty trike rig;
  • lots of XS11s and other later Yamahas (but oddly, no XS750 triples yet);
  • several more rare Yamahas including a beautiful 1982 Seca 650 shaftie and a very nice gold Venture Royale;
  • a couple of very nice late model Triumphs;
  • there’s even a Honda ST1300!
  • and.....just two XS650s. :(
Yes, sportsfans, Lakeview’s 1976 Red Hammer and the redoubtable Lucille - are the only 650s here (so far....).

Photos and video to follow!

Pete

Well, Lakeview and I arrived at the Iron Horse MC Lodge in Stecoah NC and wow - WHAT a place! The roads around here are incredible. Lakeview’s big Chevy van did super on the Tail of Dragon and we had a couple of adventures during the run here from Alcoa TN this morning. We saw a very large black bear ambling along the road and after eying us, he toddled off into the dense woods. Then, a few miles further along, we pulled off the road to clear a fallen tree out of the driving lane. There were quite a number of broken pieces of tree trunk and limbs on the roadway - any of which could have taken out a rider.

If you’ve never been on the Tail.....I recommend it, but please ride safely as there are A LOT of tricky curves, wildlife and tree-debris around. There are very few pull-offs and the road has no real shoulders at all. Basically, 2-3 feet from the roadway is a 20-200 foot rocky drop-off from which you could not possibly recover without destroying your bike and likely suffering a serious injury.

Unfortunately, today, it is absolutely p!ssing down rain (with brief periods of some sun) so nobody is riding. :guns:There is a large collection of bikes here:
  • several more rare Yamahas including a beautiful 1982 Seca 650 shaftie and a very nice gold Venture Royale;
Yes, sportsfans, Lakeview’s 1976 Red Hammer and the redoubtable Lucille - are the only 650s here (so far....).

Pete
That’s great to hear! Doing the final packing and then me and the ol xs650 are getting on the road,hopefully, around 4 in the mornin! Looking forward to a hhhooowwwllliiinnngggg and a ggggrrrrooooowwwwwwlllliiiiinnnngggg great time!

UPDATE @ 1:57 AM:

Marty is dead right! There were a significant number of evening arrivals and now at least 7-8 XS650s are at the Rally (which some folks say is a record number!) and I’d guess about the same number of XS750/850 triples as well. I sure hope the rain holds off today as the event is already superb and some riding would really top it off!

Well done Marty and Kurt - you and your team have done an excellent job on the event.

Pete

Pete

Have fun on the dragon. Done it three separate times and was a great ride. If you do it try to get a picture taken.

Wish I was there

84421808-C66C-4997-93F3-B1795EED35A6.jpeg
7C6E928B-5C00-4CAC-9884-967D569789FF.jpeg

3E6CEBCE-8CB1-4BB1-B4F7-7B7618CB52F0.jpeg

Well finally got to the iron horse about 9:30 pm! Me and the ol xs650 left Chesapeake around ten,unfortunately it poured all mornin so didnt get an early start, missed out on the festivities but got here! First time here and place is great,looks like a great turnout! The only thing not so great was trying to find this place in the dark,passed it the first time and went to Robbinsville,wish they had the signs lit up,lol!

Back