72 XS2 seat pan. Is there supposed to be a piece of rubber under there.

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm finishing up restoring my seat pan. In the "Bag O Parts" was a little square piece of rubber in there. It was glued to the pan I assume to protect the battery positive cable from touching.

Is this something the factory did, or a previous owner.

A pic would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• old pictures 408.jpg
    old pictures 408.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 213
Hi ,just took a couple of pics of my seat ,yes there are two rubber patches one where yours is and one a bit to the right,a bit dark but you can make them out .hope that helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 229
Hi ,just took a couple of pics of my seat ,yes there are two rubber patches one where yours is and one a bit to the right,a bit dark but you can make them out .hope that helps

Thanks for the pic.

I guess one is for the battery and the other for the seat hook. Does your hook hit on the rubber piece.

Looks like your seat has worm holes too. I filled mine with JB weld.

Don't know if the hook hits or not ,I'll have to go and have a look now lol.The seat base was a bit rusty so I fibre glassed the top of it and it is now rock hard,also I replaced the foam and cut it to shape with the wife's electric carving knife great fun !
One thing I am missing is the catch or whatever it is that stops the seat going to far back looks like you don't have one either.

Don't know if the hook hits or not ,I'll have to go and have a look now lol.The seat base was a bit rusty so I fibre glassed the top of it and it is now rock hard,also I replaced the foam and cut it to shape with the wife's electric carving knife great fun !
One thing I am missing is the catch or whatever it is that stops the seat going to far back looks like you don't have one either.

The hook as I call it, or the catch as you call it does in fact hit the rubber. :wink2:

Here's the bottom of mine. It's had a lot of welding too. The oval opening clearances the seat catch hoop. One weak part of the seat is where it 'floats' above the frame rail in front of the seat latch, opposite of the front hinge, so I added another rubber support bumper there (tan colored).

full

Also made a seat hook bar that is a bit longer and doesn't bind when the seat is closed.

full

This stuff is in my album: http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1623/

Back