81 xs650 bad sound when kick starting

Jayhip13

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So name Is Jason just rebuilt the whole top end rockers ect ,when I try an kick start the bike an the low end of the kick makes this metal to metal high five kinda like if the kick starter was smacking the rear brake foot pedal (but it's not ) any idea what could be causing this ,to afraid of damaging what I just put into the bike! Please an thank u for ur time xs650 gods 🙏

Last edited:
Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. I'm sure somebody will be able to answer your question but a little bit more information would help. Does the engine turn over when you try to kickstart? Have you started the engine since your rebuild?

I don't know from your question if the engine turns over at all - remove the alternator cover on the left side, put a spanner (wrench or socket) on the crankshaft nut and turn the engine slowly. Obviously, stop if there's a mechanical clunk.

If you are well past that stage and the engine turns ok, then maybe you don't have the kicker installed correctly, for example the return spring?

Maybe put up a video of the problem? But you have come to the right place to get the problem solved, cheers, Raymond

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. I'm sure somebody will be able to answer your question but a little bit more information would help. Does the engine turn over when you try to kickstart? Have you started the engine since your rebuild?

I don't know from your question if the engine turns over at all - remove the alternator cover on the left side, put a spanner (wrench or socket) on the crankshaft nut and turn the engine slowly. Obviously, stop if there's a mechanical clunk.

If you are well past that stage and the engine turns ok, then maybe you don't have the kicker installed correctly, for example the return spring?

Maybe put up a video of the problem? But you have come to the right place to get the problem solved, cheers, Raymond

Tried to put a video up it wouldn't let me an the motor turns over just has a super strange sound coming from it (have not started it bc of the sound coming from the motor)

you need to upload vids elsewhere then you can use the insert media button.
1650292945494.png

1650292848733.png

It's possible to "misclock" the start lever and mebby the internal gear so you cant get full stroke?
There is also a washer that sits between the inside of the cover and a flange on the kick shaft that can easily go missing, can you wiggle the shaft in and out?

It's possible to "misclock" the start lever and mebby the internal gear so you cant get full stroke?
There is also a washer that sits between the inside of the cover and a flange on the kick shaft that can easily go missing, can you wiggle the shaft in and out?
What manual/info did you use to put it back together?
Read through this thread.... slowly.... look to see if you did anything different?

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-top-end-buildup.52041/

Read all that form when I put it back together 😞

Never took the kick starter out , just took off the side case to replace the gasket that is all, it only pops out a few cunt hairs when lever is going down ,other then that it has no play in an out while it siting in its up right position

Any chance you can get someone to hold the camera... make the vid a little longer and maybe point out the sound and where it's (sounds like it's ) coming from?
To be honest, I can't here anything in those two vids... at least nothing that jumps out at me.

Never took the kick starter out , just took off the side case to replace the gasket that is all
Any chance you can get someone to hold the camera... make the vid a little longer and maybe point out the sound and where it's (sounds like it's ) coming from?
To be honest, I can't here anything in those two vids... at least nothing that jumps out at me.

Definitely will do! I'll take a longer video of every point once I get back home ! I appreciate everyone trying to help really I do I don't wanna hurt the fresh rebuild of the top end

Back