After sitting a few days clutch does not disengage

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is the cause of clutch plates sticking together? I just had this start this summer. I don’t ride the xs that often and as of late after I start it up and put it in first gear it will kill the motor and lurch forward. I have to rock it back and forth a few times to get it freed up then it shifts fine and the clutch works. Do I need to pull the clutch cover off and remove plates and sand them or what? Would rust develop between them. I know others have went through this also. Is it time for a oil change.

An oil change probably wouldn't hurt. Maybe try a different oil? Mine sits maybe a week or so between rides sometimes and also sits all winter, and I haven't had this problem, yet anyway. I use the cheapo Walmart brand of 20-50.

Break the clutch loose before you start it? In gear, pull in the clutch lever and rock it a few times, or pull on clutch and front brake and kick it over. Might be time to reset the free play at the side cover.

I agree with Gary.......................time to re-adjust the free play, except this time don't leave any free play.
I have found its best to leave zero free play, both for the screw adjustment on the right cover and at the lever.
Zero free play with a cold engine, and then you will see the free play increase at the lever, as the engine heats up.
I know it goes against all previous instructions in manuals, but I go with what works in real life.

Also, get out and ride your bike more often. Letting these bikes sit, is the worst thing for them. The more they run the better they run.

I'm nearly 100% w RG the 1/4 turn back is too much slack and maybe not clear enough.
Release the perch adjustment completely, back off the nut on the worm gear. Tighten the worm screw til you can feel it pushing against the clutch springs, then back it off about 1/8 turn, set the lock nut. now adjust at the perch till about 3/4 " at the end of the lever gets all the slack out and you feel the clutch springs. Try that.

Ill give it a try sure would be alot easier than pulling the clutch cover off. And thanks again.
And if any one has a xs1100 id like to ask some questions about the right side rear axle spacer that is missing on a bike here were working on. thanks

This "stuck clutch" thing has been one of my pet peeves for quite awhile. There's something going on here, and I'm developing strong suspicions about our modern oil formulations. Back in the day, we dealt with the occasional stuck clutch, but something's different now.

Noticed during my numerous clutch pulls, and noticed also on some used clutchpacks that I've ordered, there's a strange "stickiness" on the clutch plates. It feels like scotch tape. Just plain ol' sticky. And, it doesn't just simply wash off with solvent. I've had to resort to at least some scrubbing of the plates to get this stickiness off.

After the cleanup and reinstallation, the clutch works great, releases fine. But, after a period, I can sense this stickiness returning. That's when I decided to try an experiment:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-experimental-clutch.47498/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-experimental-clutch-version-2-0.50189/

The "stuck clutch" phenomenon is completely gone now.
I still think it has something to do with the oil.

I hadn't ridden the bike for over a week, and wanted to video this "release" feature of the experimental clutch. So, videoed today, here is the first kickthru and first clutch pull after a prolonged, several day non-use.

Edit: Good grief, I'm muttering again, and flopping about with the passenger peg. Can't even hear me explaining when I'm pulling the clutch lever. But, you should see that the kicker swings free enough to cycle it by hand.

Probably should try to wake up a little more after a nap, speak louder, get gggGary over here to direct the action.

At least my pants are on frontwise...

Last edited:
Back