and I just made it worse !

79yam

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i took my carbs apart to ad a new gasket , i put them back on and fiddled with the a couple screws before i looked into how too tune them , oops

these are the steps i did

1. start the engine
2. turn up idle screw to high tick over
3. unplug one plug wire
4. adjust mixture screw 2 turns out
5. adjust idle screw back down to 900-1000 rpm
6. do same to other side

so i completed these steps and i have one side is back firing quite a bit.
it still seems to run poorly and will cut out after some time running

any suggestions ?

I have cut my exhaust they have no baffles and added pod filters , and have the stock jets

Well, I think you need to re-jet for your mods. Also, stock setting for the mix screws if you have '79 carbs is 2 1/4 turns out. You're set leaner at 2 turns. With your mods and stock jets, you may need like 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out. Set your idle to 1200 RPM, any less can cause stalling problems at idle.

You also need to sync them using the synchronization adjustment screw between the carbs.

The carb guide http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf has all you need to know. There is a little "dance" that has to be done to get the mix/throttle stop adjusted. But, always make sure that, first before the carbs, adjust cam chain tensioner, valve lash, and timing, in that order.
The synch is best to start on the bench, if you can, then you can use a manometer to get them synched while the bike is running.
Check out the guide.

Like littlebill says use the "Garage" carb guide. You may need to take your tank off to reach the center balance screw; it's also VERY delicate, 1/6th of a turn can throw the balance off, work very slowly and delicately.

Back