Any xs650 pro's in Columbus, OH? (help!)

aprilsixth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey 650 members,

I am currently restoring/building a 1980 xs650 special. I am almost done with my first round of mods but have run into an issue on installing the new clutch line on my tracker build. Since i have changed the bars to lower tracker bar (from stock) seems like the clutch cable is to long to work right. I have tried re-routing the line to make it work but can't figure it out. Is there anyone in the area (Columbus, OH) that could help me out?

I have just installed brand new tires, HHB fork brace, hagon shocks, new seals and bearings in wheels, new bars, switches, hand controls, mirrors, grips, throttle sleeve, clutch line, brakes lines, master cylinder, drive chain. Just need to slap on this new clutch line and also to see if the stock throttle cable is going to work too. Having doubts now that the clutch line isn't working...

If anyone could help would be greatly appreciated. do not mind offering some free beer or some cash for the help. Thanks in advance!

Grab a new clutch cable to fit an XS standard they are about 8" shorter. Motion pro makes good cables. Mikes XS has had cable issues in the past. A new clutch cable is real cheap insurance. The trick is being sure you are getting the shorter cable.

05-0013
OEM Part No:
3L1-26335-00-00 Cables Cable, Black Vinyl, Clutch

Seems to be the one but even shorter than that might be good!

Thanks for the advise/info Gary, really appreciate it.

Looks like I need to order a 3rd cable. The first cable I ordered was a motion pro cable from Dime City Cycles but this is the cable that seems to long (must be for stock pullback bars). The 2nd cable I got was from Mike's xs and is a barely shorter if not the same and does seem like poor quality (thinner cable than the motion pro). I'll try calling motion pro and see if they can fit me with the correct length.

It does sound like your cable is too long but a cable should have large radius bends to operate smoothly. Don't try to torturiously bend the cable to hide it. It's a motorcycle, celebrate the cable!

Tom

hay man stay with the motion pro cable I've been through 3 of mikes xs's and if you need any thing done I a few hours south of clounbus and can hook you up, I'm from the columbus aera ( grove city and south end.)

Tom- Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to re-route the cable to make it "work" not to hide it. It's to long to engage/dis-engage the clutch. Not worried about looks of the cable.

Thanks DirtyDog. Yes, I am going to stay with motionpro. I can tell the difference in quality from the motionpro to Mikes xs (Mikes XS cable is much thinner). I called motionpro and what I'm going to have to do is custom order one of their clutch cables to fit the lower tracker bars. The other 3 cables I have are just to long and that's basically what it's come down too.

I live close to Grove City. South/west side of Columbus. Wilson Rd. and 70 to be exact.

we should have a batch of short cables made up I'm in for about 4 or 5 of them anyways. maybe a group buy?

Are you saying you can't adjust the clutch to make it disengage? There is a ball bearing in the screw mechanism that drops out sometimes when the sidecase is off. The ball should be inside touching the tip of the clutch push rod.

Tom

Twomany, thanks for the link. I talked to Motionpro on the phone and I am going to have to take some measurements tonight of the length I need and custom order one from them. I'm assuming I need to do the same for the throttle cable now?

Tom, my issue is that I put lower biltwell tracker bars on my bike and the stock length clutch cable is to long. I'll try and take a pic tonight and put on here.

I have ran stock cables with drag bars for years

Attachments

• Picture 2 001.jpg
    Picture 2 001.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 225
Dirty Dog, how does that even work? nice bike btw

Here are a few pics of what im talking about. you can see this stock length motion pro cable is to long...

photo 3-1.JPG

photo 1-1.JPG

yam1.jpg

Your cable is not routed like mine. Try this route.

From the lever:
Run the cable over the top clamp, through the forks to the right side of the frame, under the tank, between the carbs, to the case. Adjust the routing so the bends in the cable are large.

I'm on the west side, Roberts and 270. Are you close?

Tom

Tom,

I've tried that. I've tried every route imaginable. Maybe i'm just dumb, but I can't see how this cable would work.

I'm on the west side as well, right down the street from you. Wilson & Trabue. Would you mind stopping by and taking a look?

Back