B model rear wheel removal

Why the change - a way for Yam to save a few pennies on parts perhaps?
More than likely Raymond. Not sure what came first, but the new style shortened mufflers allow the axle removal without being removed... so the block on the swingarm became redundant.
Same year? Or did they figure out they could save money on the swingarm after the new muffies?

Untitled.png

Nothing is set in stone. Did Yamaha put some on the SG's, possibly. Just like the production dates in relation to models.

So I’m re-installing the rear wheel on the ‘75 and the chain adjusters are different for left and right. One (left?) has a smaller diameter hole on the outside plate and won’t fit over the rear axle past the thread. The other one (right?) slides all the way on. So I can be sure I have the correct adjusters, can someone please confirm that this Is how they are supposed to be? I appreciate that they are different part numbers for left and right so assume this is by design? Thanks.

Yes, they are correct. The one with the smaller hole goes on the left side where the axle nut is, and the small hole must face the outside .....

ChainAdjOutsides.jpg

ChainAdjInsides.jpg

All back together, new chain and sprockets on. Wheel ran free. Set the chain tension and tightened up rear axle nut, wheel “stiffened up”. I have new brake shoes fitted but wouldn’t expect any friction until brake applied. So what is going on?. Everything that came off is back on so it will all come apart tomorrow morning to recheck all components. Pain in the ass!!

Why the change - a way for Yam to save a few pennies on parts perhaps?

I would guess, one peice mold to weld on instead of 3 parts. less time for assembly as well. Europe and japan had Standard models till 80/81 and some sold in 82. I assume they still used the standard style swing-arms with removable blocks. The US got the bulk of Specials, savings add up or keep the price down.

All back together, new chain and sprockets on. Wheel ran free. Set the chain tension and tightened up rear axle nut, wheel “stiffened up”. I have new brake shoes fitted but wouldn’t expect any friction until brake applied. So what is going on?. Everything that came off is back on so it will all come apart tomorrow morning to recheck all components. Pain in the ass!!
One possibility; The washer on the brake shoe pivot shaft will only fit one way. backwards it takes up "too much" room and will bind.
DSCN6780.JPG
Did you change wheel bearings? Part #20 often forgotten in the old bearing.
LH bearing spacer.png

Last edited:
One possibility; The washer on the brake shoe pivot shaft will only fit one way. backwards it takes up "too much" room and will bind.
View attachment 251142
Did you change wheel bearings? Part #20 often forgotten in the old bearing.
View attachment 251141
No haven’t changed the bearings. Only delta is the new brake shoes. I took it all apart and reinstalled this morning still binding when I tighten things up. I’ll do it all again and recheck brakes etc.. . Thanks for the feedback.

This is what mine looked like and I made sure it went back on the same. ??

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 43
I’ve become an expert, thanks to all the help on here👏 on removing and installing the back wheel!! So, new day tomorrow. Remove, re-examine everything. The only things changed are the new shoes and correct adjusters. Gonna put the old shoes back on and see what happens. The fact that the wheel spins freely without tightening the nut to the correct torque is obviously a worry. Watch this space. Might get new bearings put in just to rule everything out?? 🤔

Good advice! Once again this group comes to my aid! First thing I’ll try tomorrow. 👍
So after following advice I removed brake shoes and reassembled. Free as a bird. Took a look at the shoes - they are brand new from Yambits UK and the friction material was slightly proud of the metal along the sides. Took a Dremel to them and removed excess. put it all back together this morning for the umpteenth time and it’s all good. You’ve probably realised I’m not that mechanically minded but I got there in the end. Will be test riding with new chain, sprockets and tyres asap. Thank you to everyone for their help - much appreciated.

Back