Bending Question

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get some tubing bent like in the picture below:

1712334942852.png

I contacted a guy in the area, who happened to be on the 650 garage board, and he quoted me $90.

I'm new to fabricating and don't have the tools or skills to do what I want...yet, so I'm wondering if this is a fair price? :shrug:

The price is just for the bend, not the welding or anything else.

I've tried several places in the area and he's the only one so far who can do that kind of bend.

Thanks guys for any advice

Oxy/Acetylene torch and play sand

Fill the tube with sand heat till red and bend around a radius to match what you want.

The sand will keep the tube from collapsing, let it air cool...do not quench in water.

If you dont own a torch, and he is the only guy nearby that can do it....then it is what it is.

If he's the only guy who can do it, and has the equipment, I guess he dictates price. Like adams77 says, it is what it is.

Are you talking about the swingarm where the shock mounts too? What size tube?

Yes I am talking about the upper part of the swingarm where the shock mounts.
I was thinking 1.25 for tube size?? But I don't know much about tube sizing...still just learning.
GordonScott, is this something you could bend or make?

I've attached the same picture with a circle around the area I'm talking about.

Attachments

• swingarmbendHighlighted.JPG
    swingarmbendHighlighted.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 171
Yes I am talking about the upper part of the swingarm where the shock mounts.
I was thinking 1.25 for tube size?? But I don't know much about tube sizing...still just learning.
GordonScott, is this something you could bend or make?

I've attached the same picture with a circle around the area I'm talking about.
If you want I can bend it for ya, I would use 1.25 and I have a 1.25 dye set so no problem. You pay for tubing and I'll do it for 2 (two) 60" tubes. So go here... http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-3452-204-1-14-od-x-109-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx and buy 4 (four) 60" tubes and send them to me, they are $18.29 each. I'll bend your 1 and keep the other two for payment + the last 1 I'll keep is you paying the shipping back bent, in other words the last pipe is payment for the shipping back to you that I'll pay for at UPS. Shipping back will be over $15.00 and the tube is $18.29. If this sounds fair give me a shout on my biz email and I'll give you my address. gordonscottengineering@verizon.net p.s. Boy this looks confusing LOL... break down is I'm charging you $36.58 and you pay shipping.

Hey Atomic, After all that I'm realizing that with shipping tube to my house it ain't worth it to you unless he was chaging $90 + more for the tube? So any way you want to do it I'll charge you the tubing as stated or $35.00 for bending + shipping. I'm just trying to help out another builder, sorry for the :confused: :laugh::laugh:

I'll do it for free you buy me the 1 1/4", 4 1/2" CLR, 240 degree die for my bender! :D Actually I would have to do it for free and would still owe you money.

Guys thanks a ton!
Gordonscott, I emailed the guy and it's only for the bend. I really have no idea what you wrote, but if you want to PM a more clear price or directions that would be cool. If it helps any I am going to buy some of your pipes in the future. :)
I'm going to need some welding as well. I'm just so new at this I'm not sure what to do. I really truly appreciate all the advice.

Don't mean to threadjack (even though this is an older thread), but can you (gordonscott) bend tubing to match the hardtail section on this? Everytime I see this bike my pants get a little tight:D

Still dont have the bike but when I find one in my area this is definitely the way I want to go if i can find someone to fab the hardtail for me.

feature01.jpg

Her tail is soft but the bikes is a rigid. Yes I have a bender that will make that tail. I'm not saying I will but if I did make a hardtail ready to weld on like that would there be others interested as well? It's just the time it takes to figure out bends for one-off is pricey but if I were to make a few that might justify the time spent. Again not saying I will just wondering how much interest? I know I'm going to regret this post :laugh:

i would totally be interested in a hardtail by gordonscott.
currently trying to figure out which one of your exhaust set ups to get.
i bet if you put up a post about the hardtail you will get enough replies to make this worthwhile. for sure.

Her tail is soft but the bikes is a rigid. Yes I have a bender that will make that tail. I'm not saying I will but if I did make a hardtail ready to weld on like that would there be others interested as well? It's just the time it takes to figure out bends for one-off is pricey but if I were to make a few that might justify the time spent. Again not saying I will just wondering how much interest? I know I'm going to regret this post :laugh:

Wow, with the additional pics I want it even more! Looks great. Does the owner roam these forums?

Here is to hoping we get some interested parties:thumbsup:

hi guys if you go to an exhaust place that has mandral bending they are not that expensive ,,, somebody that mandral bends car exhausts will proberbly have off cuts fairly cheap regards oldbiker

hi guys if you go to an exhaust place that has mandral bending they are not that expensive ,,, somebody that mandral bends car exhausts will proberbly have off cuts fairly cheap regards oldbiker

:confused::confused::confused: We are talking about the hardtail not exhaust. You can't make that tail with a mandral bender unless you have a 10ft dye set :laugh:

Back