Big TX500 project, any help appreciated!

Oh, I see a Colorado plate on the bike. If that's where you are then you're pretty far away. We're in western New York, just south of Buffalo, by Lake Erie.

I’ve made my decision!! I’m going to keep the bike! It’s just too unique and I’m going to take my time and enjoy! I have found some engines that might work but really need to sell a couple of my other bikes in order to proceed :)
I will continue to post updates here, since everyone is so helpful… even though this is a tx500.
Will begin the teardown and continue searching for a good engine deal.

The 500 was one of Yamaha's rare failures,, as was the 750 twin....
They should've just stuck with the 650, bored it to 750 and given it a 90* crank like they did with the much later 850. Live and learn...

To be fair, it ended up a good bike after Yamaha looked after all the problems. Problem was, at least here in the states, it picked up a reputation (deserved) as a bad bike. It's not... at least the newer ones. But reputations are hard to shake... Yamaha had to let it go due to poor sales.

I'm keeping an eye out myself....

Congrats, it always feels good to move one out to make room for a new girl lol. Chances of finding another whole parts bike are pretty good depending on the distance you’re willing to travel.

Last edited:
Nice. Save it! The early TX500 was prone to a cracked cylinder head. The last models have a single piece head that fixed it if I’m not mistaken. @desmoman900 knows the details. Maybe he’ll see this. Upgrade time is now.
In one of these threads has a ho-made tool for pushing the stuck cylinder. That’s what you need.

Do those have a 180 crank?
My advice after reading the thread, @Made2care. Find a 76 engine and save a lot of aggravation. Keep the 75 engine as spare as all the parts are interchangeable EXCEPT for the cylinder head which is ONE piece on 76-78 models versus the crack-prone 73-75 head.

That’s the plan. I think this bike is a 74. I’m having a heck of a time trying to find a 76-78 engine!!

Mind is spinning….. don’t ask why but here’s my question? Obviously not relative to the tx500 but here goes.
Any issues with a 1980 xs650? This is right up your wheelhouse, so let me know. I think I might have an idea :)

Depends on what was done and the condition of the bike overall. Got a pic of this bike or a link to an ad?

Mind is spinning….. don’t ask why but here’s my question? Obviously not relative to the tx500 but here goes.
Any issues with a 1980 xs650? This is right up your wheelhouse, so let me know. I think I might have an idea :)
There are two 1980 XS650 models. The XS650SG and the XS650G. The former has cast wheels and a rear disc brake, the latter has a drum. They are both Specials with many differences. 1980 introduced the TCI, so very different than earlier bikes.

Not knowing your idea, I’ll stop there.

Not doing that. What’s the going rate on a running 1980 xs650 thats had some “ mechanical “ restoration?
Also depends on mileage I have 2 x 1980 both bought as last owner bikes $ 800 and $ 1300 many years ago
As long as they are low mileage ---something can be done since You are experienced doing mechanical work.
Myself prefer a 650 over a 500.
I would more or less disregard the term " some “ mechanical “ restoration " Can be anything or nothing

Now you're talkin' our language, lol. If you're going to pick an old bike to fix up and ride, best choose one that had a long production run and is still supported and popular today. The XS650 fits that bill nicely. Hard to say what it's worth. Prices vary widely and are quite high in some parts of the country (like California). But I'd say that if it's under a grand and in reasonably good shape, it's a good deal.

Back