Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

Changing the size of the front tire affects the speedometer. Nothing you do with the drive wheel will affect it. They’re independent.
Wheel rim size and tire sidewall size effects the rotational distance traveled. The taller the sidewall the further the travel.
As Marty said the speedo runs of the little gearbox off the wheel spindle, so is not effected by anything to do with the engine.

Well Crap!
20220303_065844.jpg
20220303_065850.jpg
20220303_070008.jpg

I down shifted from 5th and heard a loud pop/bang. Bike went into neutral. I coasted to the side and found oil dripping from the general area if the transmission.

Crap indeed. Have experienced a chain letting go - 1976 on a Yamaha YDS7. I was lucky on that occasion and the chain exited stage rear without doing any further damage.

But the photos don't really tell the story of what has happened and I can't see where the oil is coming from. Hope you are able to get the bike home where you can take a better look and see. It is possible for the chain to knock a hole in the engine cases or even for the chain to bunch up around the sprocket area and make a real good job.

With the chain lying in the road, hopefully you might have got away with not too much damage?

. . . how old was the chain?
Good question - zooming in, it looks a bit old and dry. Of course, leaving aside the possibility of further damage to the engine, it might be possible to just refit the chain with a new split link. That's pretty much what I did in 1976 as an impecunious student.

But - I'm sure you're ahead of me on this one - much wiser if funds allow to invest in a new chain and both sprockets.

Yes, it does look pretty crusty, but looking close, so does the rest of the bike too, lol. Looking back at earlier pics in this thread, I can see the chain adjusters are almost maxed out, indicating the chain was worn and needed replacement. I'm not surprised something like this has happened. A 40 year old bike needs a thorough going through before trying to put it in daily service. You never did that, just applied a "band-aid" fix here and there, and right over dirty wounds, lol. Like when you replaced the front brake pads. You didn't clean the crust and dust out of the caliper at all, just slapped the new pads in.

So, I think you may have holed the engine case, basically killing the bike. Probably for the best, put the old girl out of her misery, because all you were doing was slowly torturing her to death, lol.

Yes, it does look pretty crusty, but looking close, so does the rest of the bike too, lol. Looking back at earlier pics in this thread, I can see the chain adjusters are almost maxed out, indicating the chain was worn and needed replacement. I'm not surprised something like this has happened. A 40 year old bike needs a thorough going through before trying to put it in daily service. You never did that, just applied a "band-aid" fix here and there, and right over dirty wounds, lol. Like when you replaced the front brake pads. You didn't clean the crust and dust out of the caliper at all, just slapped the new pads in.

So, I think you may have holed the engine case, basically killing the bike. Probably for the best, put the old girl out of her misery, because all you were doing was slowly torturing her to death, lol.
Part of me wants to be defensive here, I just can't find any solid ground to stand on; guilty as charged.
As for the holed idea, I still have several band-aids at home...

Well, unless you stopped the bike in a spot that already had an oil puddle... a hole in the cases is pretty much a given. You've got a line on a shop that does old bikes. Let 'em have a look and see how bad it is.... go make new friends. If you're lucky, they're a bunch like us that love old bikes and treat 'em that way.
Busted cases can be welded in some cases and be as good as new. Replacement cases can be had for a fair price. I picked up a set of '82 cases for 25 bucks not too long ago. Rather than rub salt in... I'll offer 'em at cost. PM me if it comes to that.
She ain't dead yet 'less you put a bullet in 'er.
Your call Boog.

Thats a bit too honest 5T; you might upset Boog just trying to keep it alive on a shoestring budget.
Go for it Boog, we've seen far worse come back to life on this forum. :geek:

Well, sometimes the truth hurts, and in this case it hurt the bike, lol. I'm all for fixing one of these bikes up on a budget, I try to do it myself, but if you're going to do that, fix stuff that needs it first (replace the chain, steering bearings, overhaul the brakes, rebuild the carbs). Never mind stuff like windshields and cell phone holders, lol.

Well Crap!
View attachment 208889View attachment 208890View attachment 208891
I down shifted from 5th and heard a loud pop/bang. Bike went into neutral. I coasted to the side and found oil dripping from the general area if the transmission.

lol. Looking back at earlier pics in this thread, I can see the chain adjusters are almost maxed out, indicating the chain was worn and needed replacement. I'm not surprised something like this has happened. A 40 year old bike needs a thorough going through before trying to put it in daily service. You never did that, just applied a "band-aid" fix here and there, and right over dirty wounds, lol. Like when you replaced the front brake pads. You didn't clean the crust and dust out of the caliper at all, just slapped the new pads in.

Well that's not good. With some luck it will only be the Push-rod. Although there was a thread where the cases had chipped and cracked in that area, (from a PO), and it did get fixed. Won't know exactly till you get the side case off.

Stating a problem found from previous pics, posted 4 months ago, that wasn't picked up by the poster at the time, and now stating that was the problem and the cause of the situation and saying the bike doesn't deserve you as an owner .................Before finding out the cause and damage is condescending at best.

here is a link to a thread from a well known poster, (RIP), who also had a chain problem that almost resulted in some damage.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/broken-chain-mystery.47304/

The chain was the problem

Back