Carb questions!

One thing you didn't mention was leaning the needle position a step. You pretty much always have to do that with the '78-'79 carb sets when you install larger mains, even one size larger than stock.

One thing you didn't mention was leaning the needle position a step. You pretty much always have to do that with the '78-'79 carb sets when you install larger mains, even one size larger than stock.

Yeah, I reread the carb guide this evening and was gonna try that. So I RAISE the clip correct? Ive been thinking about it so much Im getting confused haha. How is running lean at lower elevations gonna fix me running lean at higher elevations?

OK, so I lowered the needle a notch, but havn't hadthe chance to take it up high to see if its working better or not. hopefully this weekend. Another "issue" i'm having is the choke. When I need it choke it fires right up but then will die after 20-30 secs. After that point I no longer need the choke to fire it up. It will run if I give it throttle and ride with choke on but won't sit there and idle. If I have it idleing without choke then put the choke on, it will die. My thought is too rich? However when I turn the screw in and lean it out it doesn't fix it. It seems like it helps a little but not enough. I had it 1 turn out and it still wouldn't run with the choke on. I went up 2 sizes on pilots according to the guide because my idle was hanging. thoughts? In my opinion the bike should idle with the choke on, might be super rich but still. could it potentially be the xs filters i have on? My Uni's come in tomorrow. Maybe airflow is being all messed up at the idle and is only noticeable when the extra fuel from the choke is added? I know, im really grasping at straws now haha

Last edited:
anybody? tonight i spent about 4 hours switching out jets and playing with the idle mix screw. I even went back to stock 27.5 pilot and still couldn't get it to run with the choke on.it died as soon as i put it on. I removed the carbs and am gonna take another look at the pilot cct. any other ideas?

Back